Converting to mysql from access

I have come across a few legacy mdb’s recently that I would like to convert into mysql tables. I have been finding some freeware apps but nothing has worked yet. I am considering a paid tool as well, but still not sure as to which to choose from.

I just found one from Perfect Data Solutions that seems functional enough to make the sql file, but the demo version limits it to 1 table, 100 records. Crazy enough, there was no clear way to buy the reg. version ( shareware fail? ). Even when I went to the site to buy it when I clicked on the link to buy, it took me to a diff. product. I may still email them and ask about it ( the sites doesnt even say how much it costs… ) but it also motivated to continue looking for options.

Please if you know of a reliable one, let me know. : )

reliable? how about a good old comma- or tab-separated values file?

export your table from access as a csv, and you can load it right into mysql yourself with the LOAD DATA INFILE command

I don’t have access installed on any of my computers. I have been looking around to find someone who does, as that would make it easier. So for now, I was trying to find a tool that used database drivers to do the job.

Edit: I have seen some people say you can do this with mysql workbench import, but I don’t seem to have mysql installed as a service, so I guess revising that situation is a good starting point for me right now. Also so far after a few google searches, I couldnt find anything more than a reference in passing that it could be done, no real details on the process itself.

yeah, me neither

i had a nice working copy of Access 95 that i carried with me from one windows machine to another, but when my Win XP computer died recently, i bought a new windows 7 machine, and i can no longer run Access

and i’ll be darned if i lay out the kind of coin microsoft wants to get a new version

so i feel your pain

there are tools out there which can read mdb files, though – so don’t give up… some of them might even be free

Yeah I am in a similar situation. Recently upgrading to Windows 7 is bringing me back into the forums for a spell. Having a lot of trouble getting the development environment properly in order.

I was using xampp to try and develop on so far, with a few bumps in the road. I had trouble running mysql as a service, even though there is a checkbox that indicates it will do so, and it was enabled, but still didn’t seem to be on when the workbench app tried to connect to it. I just finished removing xampp and now am about to dig into reinstalling mysql, then build from there. I will be sure to post when if find a solution.

If it’s not a huge file (and not sensitive info) I can convert it to CSV and send it back to you. I have a few flavors of Access scattered among my machines here.

You can use Excel as well to import the Access tables and create a csv file. Or simply download a Visual Studio Express product for free which can open Acces files as well

Or you can download a trial version Access, which you can use

Or you can use OleDb to connect to the database in code…

You can also connect to the mysql database directly from access as long as the mysql odbc drivers are on the access computer. Then you can do the copying from within access itself.

I finally found one that works!

In that past I had figured out how to do this with mysql data migration. I got the new mysql workbench running, but I was having trouble figuring out how to migrate the data. I went back to searching for freeware and I came across this tool:

Looks like it did a good job even transferring properly the primary keys, and column default values. In the past, the mysql tool had worked well, but I had to watch as it wouldn’t properly recreate the primary keys, I would have to do a few minor touchups to get things back in order.