Copyright Laws?

Ok I if I take photos for someone I still own the copyright for the photos right? And can use them whenever?

It probably depends on which country you are in. Looking at your other posts it might be worth while getting legal advice if you are going to do things like wedding photography; you will need a contract then anyway.

This forum is mainly for website development with a section on photography; it might be worth joining a dedicated photography forum for your answers.

If you are the creator of a ‘work’ then in most countries, you own the copyright unless there’s a contractual agreement stating otherwise. Whether you can do whatever you please with the photos is a different kettle of fish. It’s unlikely anyone is going to hire you to take photos and give you the right to do anything with them beyond hand over the prints to them. Also the contents of the photo may contain trademarks, other copyrightable works or may require model release etc. So as always the devil is in the detail.

Could you provide more detail? Who are you taking photos for, what are the photos of, and is there any contractual agreement in place?

The right of people that you take photos of to dictate how you can use those photos is usually covered by privacy laws. It has nothing to do with copyright.

That’s assuming that it’s people that he’s photographing. If on the other hand he’s photographing Picassos and selling the prints he may run fowl of copyright law.

Well the original post does say “someone” not “something”.

It says ‘for someone’, not ‘of someone’, as in, he may be taking photos of a Picasso for someone :slight_smile: