Copyright

Ok im starting my first ever website.I have purchased the domian and hosting and installed wordpress,im in the dashboard and all ready to go.

My question regarding copyright is,is it as simple as having copyright written at the bottom of the home page or is there more to it.

If yes to either of those questions how do you go about it.

Many thanks.

Are you asking how to ensure you retain the copyright in the content of your site?

In most countries, you don’t need to do anything special. The person who wrote the text of the site owns the copyright of the text. Similarly, the person who created the images owns the copyright in the images.

Adding a copyright notice is useful, as it reminds people that the content is copyright, but it doesn’t in itself provide any additional legal protection.

That said, you should be aware that copyright theft is rampant on the web. No matter what copyright notices or statements you place on your site, if your content is valuable or interesting, there’s a good chance that somebody will eventually rip it off.

Mike

Ok many thanks Mike,that makes sense.Can i ask then how do you add the wording copyright at the bottom of your website home page on wordpress.Many thanks.

@SAUSDOG;

What’s commonly used is:

Copyright © 2012 Your Company Name. All rights reserved.

You can copy that, insert your name or your company’s name, wrap a <p> tag around it and throw it in the footer.php of your site!

Thanks mate,i will try that.

You might also want to take a look at this article:

Dealing with copyright infringements of your web page or blog

It doesn’t answer your specific question, but it might be of help in understanding the wider issues.

Mike