Copywriting Rates Question

Hey guys, I just decided to post this here since I can’t find another forum that fits it better.

I have a prospective client from an ad agency/graphic design studio who wants to quote her for writing insert sheets.

Here’s exactly what she sent me…

“I have a client who will need some content written for 4 8.5x11 Insert Sheets we will be designing. They will provide the general content in bullet form, which from there you’ll need to “jazz” up and create professional, flowing content.”

This would be my first time writing this kind of thing (though I’m very experienced in writing brochure copy). Anybody have any idea what a typical rate for this sort of project would be?

Really depends how much you think you will make them. I would calculate how much you will make them then charge a small percentage. Alternatively you could charge a percentage of the profits that come from your work.

It sounds like the sort of thing that you should charge by the hour, rather than by the word. I suggest you work out how much you earn an hour through your usual copy writing service, and then apply that rate to this job.

I disagree with the previous post, that says you should charge a percentage of their profits. That would be like an accountant basing his charge on how much tax he saves you, or a doctor charging according to how quickly he cures you.

If you want us to suggest an actual amount of money that you should charge, you will have to tell us what country or region you (and the client) are based in. Typical rates would be vastly different between Detroit, Delhi and Dubrovnik.

Mike

1 Like

I’m going to second Mikl in saying charging a percentage is an ineffective pricing structure. Depending on the specific client these types of brochures are often part of a larger business plan or marketing strategy and aren’t directly tied to any sort of profit. Since the general content is also going to be provided as well, it doesn’t make sense to base your fee on a per/word type structure. I’d go for a strategy that involves some calculation of your base rate but takes into account your other work load. If you’re pushing other jobs to do this you’d want to make sure this is the more profitable gig; if you’re in desperate need of more work then I’d take slightly less just to make sure you don’t lose out on the job.

Rate may differ, but you’ll get best rates & offers from the sites like: fiverr , fourier etc.
I’ve seen many freelancers offer this type of services there @ $5 only; and some of them has 99% positive ratings.
So, you can take a try. I hope, you’ll get the best result.

Don’t forget to add in the probability the client will demand a cumulative of 5-10 rewrites. Even change requests to a single line of text could take you an hour or two to massage when they report back with “please give this line more of a hook.”

Did you read the question? He is not asking where to find a freelancer, but how to determine a rate structure for his client.

In any case, this thread is quite old, and he person who started it never came back.

Mike