CPU temperature 74 degrees C?!

My buddy just helped me put a new computer together. It has a MSI motherboard and an Intel 2.4BGhz processor. A MSI utility included with motherboard claims my CPU is running at 74 degrees, and I’m not even doing anything too processor intensive. (PC ALERT)

Is this possible…am I in trouble?? Seems strange since my system temperature is 32 degrees C. On top of it all I have a ThermalTake Volcano 7+, which is supposed to rule!!

Yikes, that’s really hot. My Athlon 1200MHz runs at about 42C at idle; same temperature as my buddy’s Athlon XP 1600+.

Better check things out… if it really is running at 70+, it’s definitely not a good thing.

It’s about 49 degrees C when idle.

Thats very hot for an intel, I think. You should think about removing the heatsink, reapplying the thermal paste and putting it back on, or get another heatsink altogether.

Originally posted by M. Johansson
Thats very hot for an intel, I think. You should think about removing the heatsink, reapplying the thermal paste and putting it back on, or get another heatsink altogether.

:agree: !!!

That’s way too hot… I’v got a pentium 4 2.0a and when I’m using it it usually doesn’t go above 46c.

You really should check into it, maybe your heatsink is not on properly? Is it a retail intel heatsink? Perhaps you should get another one…

Also, I used Arctic Silver thermal paste instead of the thermal pad that comes by default on the bottom of your heatsink. It really works great, and it’s like $6 for a tube that has enough for like a dozen builds.

I think the software might have been wrong. The CPU has been steady at about 49-53 degrees. I CAN tell you that there is no compound on the CPU. My buddy didn’t think it was needed. I still have some silicone compond that came with the heatsink (surely Arctic Silver is way better). It’s not and Intel heatsink, it’s a ThermalTake Volcano 7+.

I don’t know how to apply the paste…Is it like spreading butter on bread or what??! :wink:

Originally posted by guysmy
I don’t know how to apply the paste…Is it like spreading butter on bread or what??! :wink:

Something like that only you don’t use a butter knife and you have to spread as thin a layer as possible. Also, remember not to lick it off like you would for butter. :slight_smile:

http://www.ocwarehouse.com/articles/tc/2.htm

Originally posted by redemption
[i]Something like that only you don’t use a butter knife and you have to spread as thin a layer as possible. Also, remember not to lick it off like you would for butter. :slight_smile:

http://www.ocwarehouse.com/articles/tc/2.htm [/i]
Yeah, it’s really not hard. Just spread it on… here’s the official instructions on arcticsilver.com. They tell you exactly how to do it… like stick your finger in a sandwich baggie to spread it around…
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Your buddy should probably not be building computers. You are lucky you had an Intel CPU, not an AMD, or you would have had one barbecued CPU.

:bouncy3:

I agree completely. Never again… Well, guess I’m off to get myself some Arctic Silver! Hopefully I did not damage the processor… :wall:

BTW is Arctic Silver really that much better than the generic silicone compound that comes with Thermal Take products such as the Volcano 7+??

Is Paste even completely necessary ? Cos I had a CPU (It was only a 333mhz though,) that didnt even made a single degree difference whether i had the paste on or not :slight_smile:

Apparently it’s more of an issue with todays speedy, high-end chips. They run hot. Did you have thermal tape on the bottom of your heatsink before you applied the paste?

“Thermal Tape” :fangel:

It’s like an adhesive pad underneath the heatsink. Click on the link below to see what I mean…
http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/adhesives/pdf/70-0709-3758-9.pdf

aaaaah, in which case, no :stuck_out_tongue: never dealt with that stuff before.

Well, I had some dude at a local computer shop apply Arctic Silver to my CPU and the guy used his FINGERS! The whole reason I had a “professional” do it is I thought they would do a cleaner job. Wrong.

Should I re-apply according to the Arctic Silver site specs? My machine has cooled down, but the lowest reading I’ve gotten is 45 degrees C. Mediocre at best.

Heh. A “dude at your local computer shop” is often not a professional, or so I’ve noticed around here.

Since you already know how, why not try it out yourself?

I could literally see his fingerprint crevices in the paste! What a hack…

I’m going to see if the performance improves I guess. There is a break-in period between 72-2000 hours, and apparently your CPU temp can drop even lower after this period. I’ve got the tube if I’m not pleased within a few months…just not sure if I trust myself covering my CPU with gunk. Especially since I’ll have to remove his application with cleaners.

Whats wrong with applying this stuff with fingers ? Cos i’m sure Thermal paste (the normal white crap) can. but is this stuff that different of what ??