Creating a HTTPS page for Facebook Custom Landing Page

Based on my research, I will need a HTTPS page in order to create a Facebook Custom Landing Page. What would be the most easy and cost efficient route of creating a HTTPS page within GoDaddy Linux Hosting Server?

It would cost $69/hr to purchase a SSL certificate, which is a bit pricey. Is there any free solution such as Shared SSL that would work for my situation? Please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I just signed up for Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for creating my Facebook landing pages.

If I am correct, they offer free usage tier for new AWS customers. For the Amazon S3, I get “5 GB of Amazon S3 standard storage, 20,000 Get Requests, and 2,000 Put Request” for a year—which is great since I just need this to host small Facebook pages for a limited time frame.

I don’t think that $69 for a certificate is pricey depending on its characteristics.

I would be interested on the route you followed… contracting a AWS services to host your FB pages… does Amazon offer a free certificate? Because if they don’t, you’re still having the same issue :slight_smile:

No, Amazon doesn’t offer a free certificate. Instead, Amazon S3 is actually a secured file storage so it’s capable of it being displayed in Facebook if I’m correct.

If pages are visible and usable using HTTPS protocol, then you should be fine.

True. After thinking about it, I’m not sure whether it’ll support Javascript or PHP when it comes to utilizing the Facebook SDK. Hopefully it does, but again it is just a secured file storage. We’ll find out soon.

I can’t tell you now that I don’t think it will work. I’ve read this article that explains that reasons much better than I could do it.

http://shlomoswidler.com/2009/08/amazon-s3-gotcha-using-virtual-host.html

(look at the second part of the article, close to the bottom). So when it comes as a hosting option for facebook pages, S3 is not a valid one.

Yea, I figured. So, instead, I used this place called “Social-server.com,” a temporary SSL service where it takes my regular http links and secure it within their server. I’m not sure how secure it is, but it works good for a temporary solution for now.

Hi guy,

1. Try Amazon EC2 if you want the whole small VPS for Web Server.
  2. Go to Google, and type Cheap SSL. You will find a good and cheap SSL for $10 a year , to install a https to your hosting or server.

Hope it help.

I tried amazon EC2 and it worked good for me. my custom landing page was very basic so I am not sure this will works for your needs but it worth a try.

Facebook now launched timeline on pages too, so there is no use of creating a landing page. Even I have a landing on one of my page, and unfortunately it is not default landing page TAB is not working. May be it is only me who is facing this weird problem. If you guys have any solution regarding this please let me know.

Thank You

Yeah i second that welcome tab is gonna be useless because timelines is going to effective at the end of march but the good amendment is they added message option now fans can send private messages to the page owners.

Go for a shared ssl from godaddy. It is pretty cheap. Or go for cheap ssl service providers. There are lots of ssl providers out there starting $18 per year. Or just use the heroku hosting offered for free within facebook itself. However, you would need to do everything in a command line for hosting using heroku