Creating Stored Procedures in MySQL

I just finished reading your reply regarding creation of stored procedures via phpMYAdmin (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/mysql-182/where-write-stored-procedure-mysql-713436.html). I gathered that you don’t care for phpMyAdmin as a front-end tool since it like so many other front-end tools puts “training wheels” on SQL.

Is there any front-end app that you do consider worth while, or do you prefer that all SQL be created in a straight-forward text editor like NotePad ?

Ps: I just tried creating a stored procedure in Navicat using its Function tool, but it too hid too much of the SQL and then generated MySQL errors in lines it created!

presumably you meant me? because i was the only one who replied in that thread

i much prefer HeidiSQL, but i have not yet used it for stored procedures, mainly because i do everything in sql queries, and i don’t have to support a big app, which is where stored procedures are mostly used

If your on a mac check out Sequel Pro. I used Workbench for quit a while but the new version has always been buggy it seems especially on a mac. I’ve been using Sequel Pro on my mac for a few months now and am glad I switched. I have also used HeidiSQL and didn’t really like it that much in comparision to the alternatives. That is personal preference though of course. I do use workbench though on my PC at work because its not anywhere near as buggy as the mac version.

I normally write queries in a text editor than copy and paste them into those programs to run. Its rare that I will write intermediate - complex logic directly in the desktop app. I haven’t had the need to use stored procedures but I imagine I would do the same thing, just like writing a trigger.

thanks very much Oddz and r937 for the tips. I didn’t know about HeidiSQL and alas, I am using a PC but will also try the good old WorkBench.

This is my first attempt at creating a stored procedure. I want to copy updates from one table to insert into another table on a weekly basis. We’ll see how that goes. Thank you both again for your tips!
najrellim