I'd like to submit for a review our start-up project site aimed at playing board games with friends online on whatever device they have. Now there are 7 games available with more on the way, you can play by inviting a friend via invitation link or play anonymously. Also an option to postpone a game and correspondence play are also avaialble.
Here is a link to it: http://skillgamesboard.com
We're developing AI at the moment, more games and some other features.
What spheres I'd like to be critiqued:
1) the general layout of the website on mobile devices and gameplay in general
2) the performance of a website
3) maybe some html code remarks
4) an option to postpone a game
5) other thoughts that come to your mind.
Thanks in advance!
each game has its own description although I think you should try and centre the descriptions for each game a bit more. everything loads nice and quick on the site, would be cool if there was a small forum on there as well for members to chat. I like the background as well. All in all its a good site
Your site is not responsive at all! Layout doesn't adjust to device screen, and it looks exactly the same on my mobile as on my desktop :/
thanks for your feedback! I'm afraid I didn't get your idea about centering the game descriptions... You're talking about short ones on the main page, or long ones on each game page?
In fact there is a chat for members - there is a field in the upper right hand corner called "My contacts" in which your friends are located and pressing on his or hers nickname will lead to opening a chat window.
hey there! could you please tell me what device you were using when checking out the website?
Actually, the layout should be the same for all devices, because at the moment it's a web app. We're currently developing separate apps of each game for iOS and Android.
As of the adjusting the website to the screen of your mobile device, we're working on it too. I also have some problems on my android, because it's not very convenient to scroll the site up'n'down to find needed buttons.
Agree with this. It's not quite convenient to scroll the website each time you need to reach this or that button...
In general it looks good! The design reminds me of Windows 8...;)
I used Lumia with Internet Explorer. Good luck with your website !
thanks for your reply! We'll see what we can do with it.
thanks for your feedback, johnbu, bt I'd like to hear more consistent review of our website:)
This is a very very cool site.
first one i immidiatly clicked a second page (in this week reviews.)
Changes i would do include
1. making the login smaller and placing it hidden inside a button in the top menu (tough making it very visible)
2. returning some dynamic information such as: users on site, hot game this month, latest results etc
3. i would space up (make margin) between the footer and the content
4. i would add a richer 3 widget footer with more information and links...
ok.. all and all i like the simplicity so, thumbs up from me.
I like the first look at the website. Smart and simple. I was expecting the games to collapse under each other when i make the view smaller. This didn't happen and lost some games. that is a same really.
I did a quick right click inspect and found the below warning/errors.
The value "1;" for key "initial-scale" was truncated to its numeric prefix. skillgamesboard.com/:44
Error parsing a meta element's content: ';' is not a valid key-value pair separator. Please use ',' instead. skillgamesboard.com/:44
You might want to look into fixing these as it not good to have errors or warnings
The game pages are nice and clean design. I would have liked to be able to play the computer but as it is a multiplier website i can't complain that much. maybe that might be a good addition to the website well waiting for a friend to join have a computer user to play against.
thanks a lot for your suggestions!
Let me reply:
1) yeah, I got your idea. This is how on the majority of sites the login procedure is made. You press on the 'login/signup' button and a pop-up window opens where you need to put down your information. We'll think this opportunity over, bt frankly speaking we tend to think that now it looks more easy and simple yo log in where you see the field at a glance, and there is no need to seek that magical "LOGIN" button.
2) yep, definitely there'll be some data in open access.
3) you mean reducing the white gap with our motto, right?
4) something like "about us" "games" "partners" etc, right?
thanks a lot for your valuable remarks!
though, I didn't actually catch your idea about collapse of games and the loss of the games. Could you please explain once again what do you mean?
Thanks for examining out html-code of the main page. We'll certainly conduct a full research, detect, and fix up all the warnings and alerts, along with the errors.
In fact, we're currently developing AI, so that you can play with computer bots. With our next update this featture will be available.
The website look is nice, I liked the background you used, i have few observations though
- You are using white colored buttons for forgot password and create an account, can we use simple text there, its not giving polished look.
- Can we highlight information on game by formating texts such as using different colors, font, bold etc for titles and paragraphs?
- I think changing the button design will give more finetuned look.
overall nice site gaming boards are attractive and colorful in look, it will be good if we use that many colors in site contents too, thats just my view though:)
hi there! thanks for your thoughts!
- the text you mentioned is just underlined, so it's simple text, isn't it?
- well using different colors may lead to a too mottled look of the text. The idea is to make the texts easy to read and pleasent for your eyes: black letters on the white background is the best combination, isn't it? Titles are bold right now.
- do you have an example of how you think the buttons should look like to be deemed as finetuned?
This topic is now archived. It is frozen and cannot be changed in any way.