CSS & HTML Combined Book

I was looking at some learning CSS & HTML Books Combined and I wanted to narrow it down to the best (2) that I could find which of the (7) listed do you think are the best (2) or maybe you have one you know not on the list.

1. Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design (Paperback)
2. The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design (Paperback)
3. Mastering Integrated HTML and CSS (Paperback)
4. Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS (Paperback) SitePoint Book :slight_smile:
5. Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Paperback)
6. CSS: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
7. [URL=“http://www.amazon.ca/Essential-Guide-CSS-HTML-Design/dp/1590599071/ref=sr_1_5/177-7364334-4337413?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267306647&sr=1-5”]
The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design (Paperback)

If it’s ONLY out of those 7 (sitepoint books are generally better), then I’d recommend …
4 and 2

It’s not only out of those 7 you can add one to the best 2 you think.

Ok, 4 and then The Art and Science of CSS (sitepoint book) :).

I’ve only read a few chapters in the last one, though I skimmed later and it should be good, hopefuly :slight_smile:
The ultimate CSS reference can dramatically increase your CSS knowledge, assuming you can memorize some details in there :slight_smile:

You’re not just picking the site point book to plug it, are you :slight_smile: ?

I don’t know any of the books you have listed, so I’ll go ahead and recommend some which I’ve read.

Bulletproof Webdesign - Dan Cederholm
Web Standards Solutions - Dan Cederholm
HTML Dog: The Book - Patrick Griffiths
CSS Mastery - Andy Budd
HTML, XHTML & CSS - Visual Quickstart Guide - Elizabeth Castro

Which of those two do you suggest Koh?

Max, Ironically I featured that website in Twitter a while back as a great place for younger people wanting to learn… we need more “web design for <one digit> year olds” sites. Get people interested in the field younger, more willing to learn and not get stuck in bad habits - I started learning to web design age 10 and I loved it! :slight_smile:

Head First HTML with CSS and XHTML. And anything Dan Cederholm writes is bound to be useful.

We don’t recommend the SP books because we’re affiliated with SP, we recommend them because they really are that good. :slight_smile:

SiberianHuseky, they’re all good but many of them aren’t beginner’s books per se. I would suggest that you learn basic HTML at Patrick Griffith’s site, get yourself acquainted with CSS via Ben Partch’s [URL=“http://www.cssbasics.com/”]CSS Basics site and then roll up your sleeves and buy yourself one of Dan Cederholm’s books.

The reason most of my recommendations are by Dan Cederholm is because he has such a fantastic writing style. D. Cederholm and E. Meyer are the authors I’ve learned from best, but we’re all different and it’s best that you find a library and read a few sample pages to see whether or not you like them. In terms of content, all books I’ve suggested are good.

As for SitePoint’s HTML/CSS books, I must admit to my shame that I haven’t read them yet except for the Ultimate CSS and HTML references by Tommy Olssen and Paul O’Brien.

Nope :). I just find that Sitepoints authors generally produce better books. There are quite a few that I don’t like though :slight_smile:

I second this book as it’s the best suited title for people beginning both languages. As much as I like many of kohoutek’s recommendations, none of them are what you required (in the sense of covering HTML and CSS together extensively). I can also recommend the SitePoint References for HTML and CSS. :slight_smile:

The SitePoint reference is the best single resource of its kind out there, but learning design and code from it is like trying to learn English from a dictionary. :smiley: You should have the reference at the ready, but other sources (the Build Your Own Web Site and Head First HTML books, CSS Basics and HTMLDog’s tutorials, etc) will guide you through the first tricky steps of putting together a Web site.

Anyone remember Lissa Explains It All? The site’s design is awfully “girly,” loaded with ads, and quite dated, but there’s a lot of useful information presented well on that site. The lady started the site when she was [URL=“http://www.lissaexplains.com/lissa.shtml”]11 years old, and for the last 10 years, a lot of people (including myself) have found much-needed assistance from her site.

I believe younger people are a great group to target. They are almost always on the computers anyway, so they have ample time to learn :slight_smile:

Alex, when I was ten, we rode to school on the backs of pterodactyls and talked to each other using cans and string. We thought “The Flintstones” was a documentary about the rich people in the next county. :slight_smile:

This part is true: when I was a college freshman, we learned (sort of) how to code FORTRAN programs on [URL=“http://www.currybet.net/images/blog2008/20080214_punch-cards.jpg”]punch cards. And the computer that used them [URL=“http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/a04.jpg”]looked like this. Now git offa my lawn!

Bulletproof Webdesign - Dan Cederholm

I had ordered and read this book, and was unhappy with some things in it— especially his recommendation to make the font-size on your web site too small for older people and those with bad vision in order to achieve a (mythical) correlation between pixels and ems.

Possibly he has fixed this in later editions. I ended up mailing the book to someone in Australia to get rid of it.

All this information has been very helpful although I now I have my Top (3) books in which I’m going to put them head to head and compare, if you have any more suggestions please let me know and thanks for the suggestions that I didn’t even know about … :slight_smile: