CSS - Test Your CSS Skills Number 31 - iphone

Well done, Timo. :cool:

Does Gary know that his version needs fixing in Safari?

[quote=“ralph_m,post:19,topic:45941”]

Grrrrr.[/QUOTE]
That comment was referring to the quiz before he added the source order restriction:

If you don’t copy the source order or column order that I set then it is quite easy as you just float one column left and then one column right and the third column is overflow hidden. However that ends up with the content right at the bottom and out of order.

Trying to get the source order as col1,col2,col3 and then make them drop in that order is a little tricky I agree.[/quote]

Yeah, Paul PM’d me about that, and I think he mentioned it above. I don’t have Win installed right now, as I broke my boot-loader and have reinstalled my OS, but not Vista in its vbox. So no IE or Safari at the moment. I tested only in Firefox and Opera.

cheers,

gary

Yeah, he did mention it above. I just wasn’t sure how much you were paying attention to the comments. (And that was an indirect way of asking if Paul had told you otherwise.)

So Linux only for now? That’s a shame.

Google Chrome seems to be available for Linux now: http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux

Off Topic:

I got Chrome a while back. It’s not exactly the same as Chrome on Windows, and it’s also not exactly the same as Safari, but maybe it has this same little bug? Also, you can’t turn JS off : (

It would be a whole lot worse if it were Windows only.

Google Chrome seems to be available for Linux now: http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux
I hadn’t seen. Will check it out. Thanks.

cheers,

gary

OK, installed Google-Chrome for Debian. (Their package is buggy, not handling dependencies properly — had to pre-install one manually)

I won’t be able to debug against Safari/webkit, as google-chrome/webkit (Linux) works as expected.

cheers,

gary

yup, I’m using GC in my Linux

Ah. Yeah, there are some rendering differences between Chrome 4 (I assume that’s what’s available for Linux) and Safari 4. I’d assume that Chrome 4 is using a newer build of Webkit, but haven’t tried to find out for sure.

his quiz is very simple so all levels can have a go.
Hmm, I’ll try again in the morning. But can’t find a solution at the moment.

I’ll post answers late on Monday so if anyone still wants a go then you better hurry :slight_smile:

I don’t have any iphone,so I cant play this quiz right now.
But this quiz is really informative and interesting quiz.I will definitely play this quiz when I purchase the iphone.

Just has an entry from Mark (Markbrown4) but needs a bit more work :slight_smile: Thanks for having a go though.

Answers posted later today.

SOLUTION TIME

Ok, Hope you all had a good Christmas and are now excitedly waiting the answers to this little quiz.

On the surface of it the quiz seemed quite simple but as some of you found out there were a few little obstacles in the way.

The main stumbling block is that the middle fluid column can’t be set with margins or by using overflow:hidden because it would not line up at the left edge. The main trick was to use a 100% wide float for the middle column and then offset the overlapping difference with negative margins to draw everything back onto the page.

Here is an online solution that I have tested on an actual iphone. As mentioned earlier you do need a couple of specific commands for the iphone otherwise it always tries to scale the page to 980px. Apart from that the code is just normal css. (If you have a mac computer you can download an [URL=“http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/develop.html”]iphone emulator from here.)

Gary was quickest with the first solution followed by Kravvittz but unfortunately both failed in Safari which is a bit of a shame because that’s the browser that the iphone uses.

Therefore the winner to this quiz is yurikolovsky (Timo) as his answer worked as required. Well done Timo :slight_smile:

Thanks to all for taking part and for all the the submissions I received.

My original Code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width = 320" />

<style type="text/css">
@media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) {
 body {
 width:320px
}
}
html, body {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
}
p {
    margin:0 0 1em
}
.col1 {
    width:314px;
    background:red;
    margin:0 0 0 5px;
    float:left;
    padding:1px 0;
    border:1px solid #000;
}
.col2 {
    min-width:314px;
    width:100%;
    margin:0 -648px 0 5px;
    min-width:934px;
}
.col3 {
    width:314px;
    margin:0 0 5px 5px;
    background:blue;
}
.inner {
    background:green;
    min-height:0;
    margin:0 648px 0 0;
}
#outer {
    min-width:320px;
    overflow:hidden;
    background:#fffccc;
}
.footer,.header {
    clear:both;
    background:orange;
    margin:5px 5px;
}
h1{text-align:center;margin:0;padding:10px;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="outer">
<div class="header"><h1>Header</h1></div>
    <div class="col1">
        <p>Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : </p>
        <p>Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : </p>
                <p>Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1   </p>
    </div>
    <div class="col2">
        <div class="inner">
            <p>This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : </p>
        </div>
    </div>
    <div class="col3">
        <p>This is column 3 (right column) : This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :</p>
    </div>
    <div class="footer">
        <p>This is the footer This is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footer </p>
    </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Yurikolovsky:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=320" />
<title>iPhone Columns : Paul remake</title>
<style type="text/css">
/*@media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) {*/
* {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
}
p {
    padding-bottom:1em;
}
div {
    margin:3px;
    border:solid black 1px;
}
#outer {
    margin:4px;
    min-width:316px;
    border:0;
}
.header {
    text-align:center;
    padding:10px 0;
}
.footer {
    clear:left;
}
.col1, .col2, .col3 {
    width:308px;/*316 - 6*/
}
.col1 {
}
.col2 {
    border:0;
    margin:0 0 0 -632px;/*316 + 316*/
    min-width:948px;/*316 + 316 + 316*/
}
.col3 {
}
.inner {
    margin-left:635px;/*316 + 316 + 3*/
}
/*}*/
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="outer">
    <div class="header">
        <h1>Header</h1>
    </div>
    <div class="col1">
        <p>Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 : Column 1 </p>
    </div>
    <div class="col2">
        <div class="inner">
            <p>This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : This is middle column : </p>
        </div>
    </div>
    <div class="col3">
        <p>This is column 3 (right column) : This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) /p> 
    </div>
    <div class="footer">
        <p>This is the footer This is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footerThis is the footer </p>
    </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Gary: Fails in Safari

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTM 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
      xml:lang="en-US"
      lang="en-US">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
        content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>quiz 31</title>
<style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/
  body, html {
}
#content {
    min-width: 316px;
    overflow: hidden;
}
#header, #footer {
    background-color: pink;
}
#leftcol {
    background-color: lightblue;
    float: left;
    margin: 0 5px;
    width: 306px;
}
#rightcol {
    background-color: lightyellow;
    float: right;
    margin: 0 5px;
    width: 306px;
}
#centercol {
    min-width: 306px;
}

/*]]>*/
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1 id="header">Header</h1>
<div id="content">
    <div id="leftcol">
        <h2>Left Column</h2>
        <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec urna sem;
            tempus quis vehicula in, convallis nec tellus. Pellentesque viverra metus
            et odio adipiscing id feugiat nisi cursus. Proin a est felis. Cum sociis
            natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.
            Integer sagittis fringilla odio in pulvinar. Aliquam interdum dignissim
            nisl vitae condimentum. Sed condimentum mattis magna. Etiam congue
            tincidunt dapibus. Etiam ullamcorper velit sed dolor faucibus volutpat.
            Vestibulum id neque ac diam faucibus blandit sollicitudin ut felis. Mauris
            risus nibh, condimentum a suscipit nec; hendrerit vitae tellus? Donec in
            nunc ut leo mollis mollis faucibus at est. Fusce molestie ullamcorper mi,
            id fermentum risus luctus viverra! Maecenas lectus tellus, ultrices eget
            feugiat sit amet, auctor quis tortor. Quisque at tortor metus, quis varius
            metus? Nullam quis consectetur neque. Suspendisse porttitor faucibus
            turpis, vel luctus tellus commodo eget. Integer in magna eget metus cursus
            gravida quis vitae neque. Nunc mi dui, porttitor in rutrum ut, cursus sed
            velit. Pellentesque nunc neque, vulputate fermentum rutrum adipiscing,
            bibendum sed odio!</p>
    </div>
    <div id="rightcol">
        <h2>Right Column</h2>
        <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse ac
            ipsum et nulla consectetur facilisis? Proin sit amet lectus nulla, a
            malesuada dolor. Pellentesque facilisis sodales elementum. Lorem ipsum
            dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean dignissim condimentum
            sem a accumsan? Vestibulum dapibus pellentesque tellus, sit amet porttitor
            orci congue vitae? Sed eu elit erat, et aliquam purus? In hac habitasse
            platea dictumst. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et
            ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; In molestie venenatis pulvinar.</p>
    </div>
    <div id="centercol">
        <h2>Center Column</h2>
        <p>Nullam fringilla, est adipiscing tincidunt porttitor; lacus mauris
            laoreet dui, molestie fringilla nibh est vitae turpis. In volutpat metus et
            magna dictum blandit. Suspendisse felis metus, aliquet ac blandit cursus,
            posuere aliquet neque. Aenean ut augue et magna adipiscing blandit. In id
            augue eget tellus ornare semper non a est. Duis ante massa, bibendum congue
            dictum sed, scelerisque at justo. Nam aliquet, nunc sit amet tincidunt
            viverra, ligula tortor condimentum mauris; vel convallis mauris ante in
            leo. Integer aliquam varius sem vel vestibulum! Nullam varius sollicitudin
            velit, nec fermentum tellus commodo ac. Aliquam id ipsum vitae libero
            viverra pretium. In eu nibh lacus, non mattis ipsum. Ut sit amet quam in
            diam sodales congue. Quisque sodales lacus et elit ultrices eget varius
            arcu mattis. Phasellus tempus semper erat, pretium suscipit ante pharetra
            et. Vivamus convallis turpis semper turpis tempor semper.</p>
    </div>
</div>
<p id="footer">Footer</p>
</body>
</html>

Kravittz: Fails in Safari

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<!-- Created: 2009-12-19 -->
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title></title>
<style type="text/css">
/* <![CDATA[ */

body {
}
#header, #footer {
    background: #FFA500;
    clear: both;
}
div.majorCol {
    width: 316px;
}
#colOne {
    background: #F33;
    margin-left: 316px;
    margin-right: -316px;
    position: relative;
}
#colWrap {
    min-width: 632px;
    position: relative;
    width: 100%;
    margin-left: -316px;
}
#colTwo {
    width: auto;
    margin: 0;
    border-left: 316px solid transparent;
}
#colTwo>.innertube {
    background: #282;
}
#colThree {
    background: #33F;
}

/* ]]> */
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="header"> header
    <p>Firefox 3+, IE7+, Opera 8+, Google Chrome 4</p>
</div>
<div id="colWrap">
    <div id="colOne" class="majorCol"> column 1
        <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec scelerisque 
            purus vitae wisi accumsan fringilla. Aliquam nibh elit, imperdiet eu, 
            scelerisque at, condimentum eget, leo. Nam dolor. Etiam rutrum. Nullam nulla 
            nibh, sollicitudin in, dictum ut, ullamcorper id, mauris.</p>
    </div>
    <div id="colTwo" class="majorCol">
        <div class="innertube"> column 2
            <p>Aenean ultricies, 
                erat quis aliquet pellentesque, sapien nulla posuere nunc, sed tincidunt wisi 
                wisi id quam. Donec magna ante, pellentesque eu, posuere sed, ultrices sed, 
                velit. Sed id velit. Quisque sollicitudin lacus a ante. Etiam aliquam. Nulla 
                vitae lectus. Mauris ante neque, blandit id, vehicula nec, iaculis vitae, wisi. 
                Mauris quis elit sed quam interdum sollicitudin. Curabitur congue egestas 
                velit. Nulla feugiat placerat felis.</p>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
<div id="colThree" class="majorCol"> column 3
    <p>Praesent felis tellus, rutrum et, faucibus 
        eget, sagittis non, ligula. Fusce porta, lorem at convallis vehicula, arcu eros 
        egestas tellus, in bibendum ante metus vel nisl. Sed erat nulla, vulputate vel, 
        fermentum et, feugiat nec, eros. Pellentesque augue tortor, rutrum eu, mattis 
        id, ornare vitae, sapien.</p>
</div>
<div id="footer"> footer </div>
</body>
</html>

Thanks to all those that took part :slight_smile:

Look out for the next quiz which I will post in a few days time and unlike other quizzes I am going to give you free reign a bit and want you to come up with some CSS animation in one form or another.

So get your thinking caps on now and see if you can think of something unusual or interesting to display.

To get you in the mood here is an example I knocked up today in about three hours.

Get thinking!!

some CSS animation in one form or another.

hahaha wow, this will be a challenge.
what about browsers? different browsers handle things differently.

p.s. love the snake.
you could have added some error checking by making the screen blank (or just blocking the links by some div covering) when you moved off the line. (but it would require more squares)

I’ll think up some real rules when I post the quiz but I will probably keep the rules flexible so that we can see some interesting examples.:slight_smile:

you could have added some error checking by making the screen blank (or just blocking the links by some div covering) when you moved off the line. (but it would require more squares)

Yes - I got bored once I’d done the first part :slight_smile:

There actually wasn’t a quick way to add error checking because of the animation which means the gaps in the background will pass over different elements and are not constant. I did leave a few black holes for you to fall into though :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting the solutions, Paul. Very interesting, although I’m still trying to understand how they work.

I was wondering if you were going to post a solution with the columns out of source order? I thought that was the original ‘easy’ proposition.

Paul, just playing with the solutions posted above, on my Mac (at least in FF and Safari) the blue box overlaps the green box by about 20px before it drops in your solution, where it doesn’t in Yuri’s. (Tried to see if I could stop it happening, but gave up in the end. :sick: )

Hmm, typing iPhone emulator into Google brings up all sorts of options, such as this:

http://iphonetester.com/

Handy for testing this quiz.

I’m so glad I ran across this quiz! Someone recently let me know that my site looked REALLY BAD in IE (I hate $M), and provided me a screenshot. Well it turns out that at screen sizes smaller than 1024x768 (the smallest size I had tested on) IE was letting the columns “bleed together”. By adapting the CSS from this quiz, I was able to get IE back in line. It also seems to make the page look more like it should in other browsers, as well. :smiley:
This is why I love this site. I just keep learning and learning. :slight_smile: Thank you, Paul, and everyone! And watch out for that next quiz! I’ve already got my entry ready! :lol:

Hi Ralph,

The only real emulator is the one I linked to.:slight_smile:

All the others just create a small window but do not emulate the iphone at all. As you already mentioned the iphone scales layouts to fit so full size layouts won’t look like they do on the iphone.

Paul, just playing with the solutions posted above, on my Mac (at least in FF and Safari) the blue box overlaps the green box by about 20px before it drops in your solution, where it doesn’t in Yuri’s. (Tried to see if I could stop it happening, but gave up in the end. :sick: )

The version I posted online is working fine it’s just that I was a bit careless when I added padding and borders to the one I posted above.

Just change the min-width in here until it fits.

.col2 {
    width:100&#37;;
    margin:0 -648px 0 5px;
   [B] min-width:960px;[/B]
}

I was wondering if you were going to post a solution with the columns out of source order?

Actually I changed the rules when Gary made his entry as I thought it was too simple. However,
I made the same mistake as Gary when I checked the code and the very simple version doesn’t actually work in Safari.:slight_smile:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<style>
.col1 {
    width:310px;
    margin:0 5px;
}
.col2 {
    min-width:310px;
    overflow:hidden;
}
.col3 {
    width:310px;
    float:right;
}
.inner {
}
#outer {
    min-width: 320px;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="outer">
    <div class="col1">
    </div>
    <div class="col3">
        <p>This is column 3 (right column) : This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :This is column 3 (right column) :</p>
    </div>
    <div class="col2">
        <div class="inner">
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

It’s fine in Opera and FF though.

However the source order example is still pretty simple as you just use 3 floats with the middle float being 100% wide and then a negative margin equal to the width of the other two floats. Then you nest an inner with the same negative margin to keep the content away from the overlap.:slight_smile: