Data inserted into a table is not quite working properly

This is what I want to know. I have a table which has the number of rows depended on what the number is in the spinner. This does work e.g If I enter 25 in spinner it comes up with 25 rows, if I enter 7 in spinner comes with 7 rows. This is done through the $sessionCount variable

So my problem is this:

Lets say there are a number of rows in a table. What I have is a textarea where the user enters in their question and then submits the question, the question should be inserted and appear in the first row of the table under the “Question” column, the textarea goes blank and the user enters in his second question, if the user submits this then the question would appear in the second row, 3rd question into 3rd row, 4th question 4th into row etc.

The problem is that everytime I submit a question into the table, it creates a new row. So if I had 20 empty rows in the table because I stated in the spinner I wanted 20 questions, then what happens is everytime I submit a question, it adds a new row everytime, so submitting 20 questions from the textarea would mean the table would contain 20 blank rows and 20 rows with questions. I am guessing it is because of this for example:

var enumeratorCell = document.createElement("td");

So what I want to know is how excepting creating an element to create a new row, how can I retrieve an element so that it submits the question in an existing row from top to bottom rather than creating a new row everytime a question is submitted?

Below is my code:

function insertQuestion() {   
    var table = document.getElementById("qandatbl");
    var tableBody = table.tBodies[0];
    var textarea = document.getElementById("questionTxt");

var row = document.createElement("tr");
    tableBody.appendChild(row);

var enumeratorCell = document.createElement("td");
    enumeratorCell.className = "qid";
    row.appendChild(enumeratorCell);

var questionCell = document.createElement("td");
    questionCell.className = "question";
    row.appendChild(questionCell);

var questionText = textarea.value;
    var questionContent = document.createTextNode(questionText);
    questionCell.appendChild(questionContent);
			}

HTML:

// table where questions will be inserted into

<table>

<?php
        $spinnerCount = $_POST['textQuestion'];
    if($spinnerCount > 0) {
       for($i = 1; $i <= $spinnerCount; $i++) {?> // this get the number of questions from the spinner

<tr>
                <td class="qid"><?php echo $i; ?></td>
                <td class="question"></td>
            </tr>

</table>
   //Text Area and submit button to submit questions

<form id="enter" action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method="post">
    <table id='middleDetails' border='1'>
    <tr>
    <th class='tblheading' colspan='2'>SESSION DETAILS</th>
    </tr>
    <tr class='trheight'>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td id="questionNum">Question No </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td id="questionContent">Question:</td> 
    <td id="questionTextarea"><textarea rows="5" cols="40" id="questionTxt" name="questionText"></textarea></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td id="addQuestionRow" colspan='2'><input id="addQuestion" type="button" value="Add Question" name="addQuestionBtn" onClick="insertQuestion()" /></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>

Is this the same as your request for help in your other thread?

Yes it is but I wanted to modify my question to make it easier to understand, it didn’t allow me to edit in the previous thread so I created a new one.

[ot]An option you had was to then just simply add another post in your original thread with your modified question.

When you cross post like you have here you risk putting people (including me) off trying to help because it appears you are using a scatter gun approach to getting help.

With parallel threads people might not reply in either because they could be wasting their time posting a suggestion in one of your threads without realising the same suggestion has already been posted in your other thread by someone else.

[/ot]

Well what do you want me to do, it would not let me modify or delete the thread and I wanted to provide an easier question for users so they understand it.

I just added a test post in your other thread and it let me do it, no problems :slight_smile:

If you want to cross post, that’s up to you. I’m just highlighting the potential downside of doing so.