Data migration from local machine to server. Help, help, help!

I’ve got my vBulletin database running on my machine. It’s a long story about how I tried to upgrade to 4.0, didn’t work out, got it working on my machine, need to migrate to server, blah blah blah, I won’t bore you.

Point is: I have a 150-ish meg .sql file. Compressed it’s about 52 megs. Way too big for phpmyadmin to accept through a browser.

I need to get this file, compressed or uncompressed, onto my server. It’s a Linux machine running cPanel/WHM. I can FTP it to my server, but I have no clue where to put it on there in order to run it.

I also have no idea how to run it. I was raised on Windows; thanks mom! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I’m on a Mac. I’m very unfamiliar with command line stuff. I can change directories and… uhh, paste in commands.

So to put it plainly:

1. Where do I upload my sql file to?
  2. How do I execute it?

I have attempted to figure out how to remotely connect to my server via MySQL Administrator. I’ve granted access to my IP. I don’t even know what to put into the server hostname; tried my domain name and my server’s IP address. Ugh. I’d like to know how to make this happen as well.

I can’t seem to find a simple solution to these problems. I’ve scoured the 'net, but there is no simple step-by-step solution tutorial that I could find.

Please help me! Share your wisdom! I must learn!

I don’t have all the answers for you but something is better than nothing…

This thread talks about running a .sql file from command prompt. That being said, you’ll need to get logged into the MySQL server via command prompt. Do you have shell access to the server? If it’s a VPS then you might but probably not if you’re in a shared environment.

In regards to the MySQL Admin, is your database server located on the same machine as your web server? If so, then I would imagine that your dedicated IP address or domain name should do the trick. However, I know that some hosts don’t allow direct MySQL access regardless. Not sure how they are able to block this but you might want to check with your host.

Simply put, your first challenge is gaining direct access via shell to the database server.

Ok, getting closer. I have shell access; but I don’t know how to connect via shell. Remember, I’m a dunce when it comes to command line anything.

And something else just happened. My mysql.sock vanished after I restarted my mysql services on my Mac. It’s gone. How do I get it back or get another one configured??

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-connect-to-my-mysql-database-server-using-command-line-and-php/

That should explain to you how to connect with shell but I’m lost on the mysql.sock file. Sorry.

Help? Mysql sock? anyone?

The general steps for this would be to:[LIST=1]
[]upload the sql file
[
]create the database
[]import the sql file
[
]check/repair tables
[/LIST]

If you are getting errors about mysql.sock, that is a socket file used by MySQL and may signify that your MySQL server is not running or is mis-configured.