Database dump as multiple .json files

I’m looking at moving blog content from the MetroPublisher platform to WordPress.

They have provided a dump of the database, but it is made up of multiple .json files - basically one .json file for every blog record.

I didn’t expect it to be plain sailing, but I did as least expect one big messy file, most likely .csv that could then be massaged before importing into WordPress.

If anyone could give me me any pointers as to what to do with all these files, presumably to somehow combine them into one file with all the data, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

They probably ran one of many wordpress import / export plugins, I’d ask them what they used.

Thanks - they’re not great at support unfortunately, but I’ll see what I can find out.

They originally posted a link to huge amounts of documentation for their API.

Searching that for ‘export’ returned no results, so not much help.

Is a database dump / export that amounts to an individual .json file for each record a common thing, that I wouldn’t find a problem if I knew a bit more about databases, or is it a really odd way of doing things?

Ok, I misread – I thought you were coming from wordpress to wordpress. I’ve got zero familiarity with metropublisher but what it sounds like they did is did an export from their API which doesn’t sound horribly odd, especially if they aren’t running wordpress.

What you’ve got to do here is make sense of their json export (probably documented in the docs they sent) and then write / find some code that will read the json and import it into wordpress. This isn’t horribly difficult in general but the devil is in the details – if the data doesn’t “line up” so to speak it can get pretty tricky.

Yep, sounds like they have used a RESTful API to provide you with data. I highly doubt that the data you have been provided maps one to one with their database structure. It is more likely an abstraction based on their business model. Once a tool is located to import data best bet is to massage the data to be compatible with that tool. That is the approach I would recommend. Though depending on the complexity it can become quite tedious and challenging. I’ve done my far share of third part integrations and it is never a walk in the park so to speak. I’m not very familiar with WP but if you have something that will import csv than you *just need to convert what they have given you to a csv file. Though again depending on complexity and programming knowledge that might be challenging. Also when doing bulk imports of data it is import to choose a tool that intelligently manages memory considering a large volume of imports could bomb the site based on how *well the importer was written.

Just as I had anticipated metro Publisher provides an RESTful API.

https://api.metropublisher.com/doc/resources/index.html

So the challenge is figuring out how exactly all that maps back to WordPress then programming script or plugin to migrate it to WP.