Day 1: The Great Photography Competition

Very Clever !!

The competition sounds like a fun idea. I love Sitepoint!

Not in the office today…Had to scramble for office products around the house…I swear I didn’t steal them…

Before my question was answered (better definition of the requirements) I shot those. The crowded construction equipment in front of the Panda Express struck me as interesting. And the Wendy’s struck me as an odd image with the Golf Cart standing alone - out of place. A WTF?!.

Now I realize the judging will be on the photo itself (composition, color etc) and not the choice of subject.

What’s the consensus on multiple exposure/HDR/long exposure photos? If it adds to the value of the picture and enhances the topic of course…

I feel like getting creative :magic:

I thought that I might point this out: the maximum width of an uploadable jpg can be 1600px wide and 1200px heigh, the requirements in the announcement should be changed from 2000px max width to 1600px :slight_smile:

There is also the weight of the image that has a maximum of 256 KB, so the more detail an image has, the smaller the image has to be to be accepted or the lower the quality of the compression has to be. I opted for a smaller image with a higher quality compression :slight_smile:

Since we had the 4th of July celebration here on Sunday, I thought it was appropriate to capture that day with the office supply that one might need to send some greetings to friends.

You still have 20 hours to submit.

Love that angle, WarpNacelle.

Might try and submit something tonight if I can get back to the computer in time. Still confused about how sitepoint time maps to UK time but we will see!

Susan

Sorry - by that I meant that you may enter every day but you can only win one daily prize.

And I also forgot to announce that submissions opened 2 hours ago!

Here is my entry for Day 1! :cool2:

I apparently misunderstood this comment, “Entrants may take part as many times as they like, but an entrant may only win once”.
That is why I submitted three images.

Thanks, Shaun, for the advice on the one image. All I did with those was a little cropping.

[FONT=“Georgia”]Just a head’s up, everyone. Please submit just one photo, your best one, for the topic.

Good work, Thom. Looking back at the guidelines, the Mc Donalds photo is best, because the restaurant, which was the topic, is clearly the subject of the photo. The Wendy’s and Panda Express both have too much crap in the foreground, distracting us from what the topic is supposed to be about.

If I was you, I’d submit the Mc Donalds.

You might consider opening up an image editor to straighten up those lines too. And fix the colours, if you wish. Nice reflections on the windows. Good job.

[/FONT]

Fantastic It sounds good. I really like it very much

This is fun. I just took a drive around my [new] neighborhood, in search of interesting/challenging photo opportunities.
Here is what I captured:

If I want to post a large image 2000px wide, would it be a good idea to post also a smaller version, let us say 700px wide for the smaller screens that some people have?

I always found it hard when I had a small screen to look at these large images.

Sounds very sensible to me Datura. :slight_smile:

Good questions ParkinT. Here is the judging criteria:

The basics -
The photo must be well exposed for the subject. Not too dark, not too bright. The important elements must all be visible.

How effectively the photo communicates the given subject / story -
The subject must be the dominant idea of the photograph.

How well is the idea shown?

How creatively the photo communicates the given subject -
Could the subject be better shown from a different angle? What about a different time of day? Could there be other elements included in (or removed from) the photo that help describe the idea of the subject?

No points for creativity for creativity sake. Any creative approach to the photo must enhance the communication of the subject… Not just say, “Look what I can do!”

The aesthetic appeal of the photo -
Is the photo interesting to look at? Does it achieve a nice visual balance? Is the lighting good?

The judges can be bribed with good photos of the subject or story.

And remember, you only have to submit a photo of ONE of the subjects. Submission begins in ~10.5 hours from now.

What will be the criteria for judging a ‘winner’?
Are there any guidelines? Can the judges be bribed? LOL

[FONT=“Georgia”]Interesting topics there.

On a working day like tomorrow, I imagine these should be easy.

At work, one can steal a few moments away while uploading files or waiting for a phone call, to round up some thingies right there on the desk into a nice arrangement. Paper-clips, pens, pencils, post-it notes, the office phone. For me, I’d play with different angles too; From overhead, come down close from the edge of the desk, move from side to side snapping away.

Then on lunch hour, one might choose to eat out instead of staying in the lunch room. Stand across the street from the restaurant to get the whole building in, and again play with angles. Shoot from the sides, from directly in front, from up high and low to the street. It’d be important to show that it’s a restaurant, whether that means letting signage or their posters of food be visible. For me, I’d play with inside shots as well, between eating or while waiting in line to order.

[/FONT]