Day 4: The Great Photography Competition

I hope you’re enjoying the missions so far.

You have 24 hours from now to plan your fourth mission.
In 24 hours time, submission opens. In 48 hours time, submission closes and the next mission will be announced.

Your fourth mission is to take a photo of ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

An insect OR
A composition of three types of fruit

Images must be uploaded to this thread as attachments.

Images should be either JPG or PNG and should measure between 900 - 2000 px length for the longer side of the photograph. DPI doesn’t matter.

The Rules:

ALL WORK MUST BE YOUR OWN!

Photos must be shot between the time a topic is posted and the time of judging. Photos from five years ago are not allowed.

Photos must be submitted before midnight of the day.

Entrants may take part as many times as they like, but an entrant may only win once.

No goofy Photoshop effects or overdone photo-manipulation; Entrants are allowed to correct colour, contrast, and make minor tweaks such as removing litter or distracting objects from a photo, but no surreal colours or crazy filters.

Oops! Missed that line… hope it would have no impact on the result…

Thanks Arwench! I loved the flower too and the contrast seemed perfect :slight_smile:

If you’re interested, I used my Olympus Pen camera with a 45-200mm lens (100mm was the sweet spot), a +4 macro lens and a monopod to get this shot. I carry my Pen with me everywhere, but the monopod made a special outing this time :slight_smile:

@rderego…your butterfly is beautiful! i love it.

It’s been far too long since I participated in anything here.

So, here is a shot of some carpenter ants that have made a home in an old tree stump in our back yard. Photo taken with a Canon PowerShot A460.

Ok well I had another tough time deciding between my photos. It was either this one or a bee I rescued on a leaf from my boys’ wading pool. I liked both a lot but this one I really like the glass bowl as the background for my berries. And my son liked this one also.

Unfortunately, due to the miserable weather, insects were out the question for me, so I decided to raid my kitchen for fruit. The only 3 types I could find were raisins, sultanas and blueberries! I first tried a few different compositions on a plate, but it wasn’t really working, so I substituted the plate with my girlfriend’s tongue, and after a few floor bound blueberries, finally got a shot I liked!

Amazing how many pictures of fruit you can actually take in a couple hours…

A lime, a nectarine and a kiwi lying with some stony impostors.

Probably should have zoomed in closer on the spider, but it seemed a shame not too show off all of his/her hard work.
Not sure how long spiders live, but every year I have the same kind of spider in the same place in the garden.

:smiley:
:lol:

[FONT=“Georgia”]Because the light’s from behind.

[/FONT]

[FONT=“Georgia”]16 hours left.

:weee:

[/FONT]

Hi guys. Here is my submission for Assignment 4.

Took a lot of pictures of insects this morning, and realized that they don’t stay and pose for very long. So this may be a bit blurry in spots, but thought it was cool.

Thanks for your critiques. I’m a newbie and just trying to learn.
My camera is a Canon A620 Powershot with a macro lens.That’s about all I know. I was messing around with the adjustments and took so many shots, I’m not quite sure what settings this one was on…
Thanks!
Emery

Remind me never to stay overnight at your house!! Creepy.

</joking>

Hi. I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get good pictures of the only bugs I could find (ants…), but then I found this beautiful, colorful fellow. Its colors made my day… :slight_smile:

I really like this pic too…I love how you can see the glistening spider web.

wish I had more patients and time here, was difficult to get focus with my lense and also get the insect in a cool position,

I thought it would be easy finding insects to photograph but as it’s winter there are very few about. This is a pretty small wierd looking spider. Not sure what type it is.

This was flittering around in my front yard. Fortunately I had my camera in hand!