DBA and unsolicited phone calls

Since I filed for a DBA a few years back, I’ve been getting calls every day on the phone number that I included on the DBA form. These aren’t telemarketers or robocallers, but other businesses trying to sell me business-related stuff (pens, mugs, stationary, business credit cards, etc).

The number is listed with the do-not-call registry, but I’m thinking that since I listed the number on the DBA form, the do-not-call list might not cover these types of calls.

Is there anything I can do to make the calls stop? I haven’t turned up any good suggestions in my searches for this particular situation.

Hi!

I got your post and I know just how you feel. Trust me, I get these calls like everyday and there’s just no stopping them. And not to mention, I’ve been on the DNC ever since we got this land line. But after a while of getting angry, annoyed and irritated all the time, I figured, why go through such a hassle when they’re not gonna take me off their customer list anyway. So I started pulling up pranks at them whenever they’re on the phone which, I found out, is very helpful in relieving stress. Gives me a good laugh each time. I get my prank tips from here and I tell you, they’re effective! I bet I annoy them so much that they never call twice anymore. When I get telemarketing calls, for instance, it’s always a new number. And I’m actually enjoying the habit.:wink:

I’m about to file a DBA as well. Is this what I have to look forward to? What are some strategies to reduce the number of these calls that you get?

The DNC only applies to B2C telemarketing. So if your phone number is a legitimate business line, then the DNC doesn’t apply. But, if you ask them to take you off their calling list, most companies will comply.

If, however, you’ve simply listed your home phone as your business number on the DBA form, then “technically” you can report anyone who solicits you. But, since the phone company frowns on you using your home phone as a business line, a spiteful telemarketer could report you to the phone company.

If it is your home phone, I suggest you inform callers that your home phone is listed on the DBA form because you don’t have a business line yet, but that you’re on the DNC, so please do not call again or you will report them.

Hope that helps.