Deadbeat Clients - Valid Way to Prevent Them from Stealing Pages?

My recommendation would be to not develop on their server. For large projects you have to, but by large I mean usually hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those always have contracts (or an idiot developer =p).

For smaller projects however, it’s almost always easier to set up your own local server and build it there. Then you just don’t give it to them until you’re paid in full.

Your going about it all wrong, IMO.

Never update a clients site, have your own server. Secondly if all your doing is HTML, consider taking screen shots if you think your clients are savvy enough download HTML/content and upload to their site.

Lastly, you should be using a CMS and allowing your clients to update their own content and avoid this issue all togather, unless I misunderstand the problem.

Cheers,
Alex

No, this was more than just HTML updates. The client needed e-commerce functionality as well as a custom database-driven application built. There were some static HTML pages added as well, but most of the work was more complicated.

I do agree with the consensus, though, that (when possible) I should develop locally and only deliver stuff to the client after it’s been fully paid for. That’s going to add a bit of work, since with Wordpress and other database-drive stuff it’s not as simple as just picking up a bunch of files and dropping them on another server.

Maybe not - but it’s not really THAT much more complicated. For the database you just need to export the config and content to file, then import into the target server database. (You just need to create the database instance first on the target). And it’s quite easy to change/define different paths and account details between your local dev server and the target server.

Or you could just meet your client upfront for a quiet cup of coffee and a chat and make sure you get on well with them. It’s not going to be fun for either of you if there’s conflict there.

That and ask for staged payments at well defined milestones throughout the project.

I don’t know if you would want to bring this to court - I suppose that depends on how many hours you put into this and what it is worth to you. 9 months is a long time to let this situation drag on. I think that you need to try and meet up with your client in person, even if that means going to his/her house and discuss the matter. Clearly they are trying to get out of paying, but before you put yourself and the client through a lawsuit I would try and settle it between the two of you.
Next time, if it is possible, ask for a down payment or pay in advance. If you are working for a legitimate company, where there is trust in your work, then this should not be a problem.

Gotta agree w/ ppl who said that you’re doing it the wrong way. I completely understand the situation where you know they won’t pay you no matter what…it’s not that they don’t want to pay…they just can’t pay.

The worst you can do is ruin your reputation and look for positive outcome instead. It sounds like you got paid certain amount at least. If you truly know they can not pay because of financial issues then I would offer them to advertise your service on their page. Maybe even add incentive if they find new clients for you. Anyways, your method doesn’t really benefit anyone.

I would agree prevention is better. Getting a down payment helps me right the rest off if the purchaser has payment problems. Another idea is to have stated in your contract that he pages will have a statement in the header, (not sure of the wording) page is posted for final review and has not been fully paid. Maybe on the page itself a logo that is removed on final payment?

How do you write off unpaid invoices?

write as in my ability to accept that I didn’t do a good job screening my client, accept that it happened and most importantly let it go. Move on, forward, etc.

So, you are paying $22 with little likelihood of getting anything return except that ‘he’ll know any suit he files against me would probably be seen as retaliatory’.

That seems the be the exact opposite of operating a profitable business - spending money to teach someone a lesson.

This Is Why You Always Pay Your Web Designer

That’s also the kind of thing that gives web developers a bad reputation!

I hate it when this happens. I still have not found the best way to deal with this.

1. CONTRACT – WRITTEN!

2. at least 25% payment UP FRONT before one line of code gets into their hands or deployed live anywhere.

3. develop on your own servers/accounts.

4. at least 50% of the total payment required before you deploy a live copy on their servers.

5. did we mention a WRITTEN SIGNED contract – if they are in such a hurry they can’t wait two to four days for snail mail, they probably are not a client you want in the first place!

I agree about the waiting, however a faxed or emailed scan of the contract with their signature should be fine (for most country’s laws at least). Seriously, these days who needs to rely on snail mail or cheques, when everything can be done via email and electronic bank transfer?

I written signed contract doesn’t prevent anything, it just gives you more recourse in the event that the client doesn’t pay.

To prevent this kind of thing, build up the quality of your clients and your business practices in general. For example, if you think a client is near bankruptcy, don’t extend them credit :slight_smile:

A collection agency will pay you up front for the money owed you minus a commission. So, you could find a collection agency and find out what they need in the contract in order to collect.

Unless you have unpaid invoices with very good backup documentation (which could be a single purchase order, an agreement, etc.) it’s hard to get paid up front to sell off debts unless you have some decent volume.

With a single invoice you’d probably have to consign it for for a 40% or so commission.

For me, sg707’s suggestion seems like a good way forward vis-a-vis getting something from the situation:

Re cheesedude’s mashable link: there are some really interesting comments to that post, worth reading.

Isha