Dealing with Large (wide) Tables - quick question

I have the following situation: clients go through a single ‘registration’ process (personal and contact information) as well as a single assessment process (information about the needs of the client). Between the two of them, there are almost 100 fields.

I had originally thought to make two tables: the registrations table with PK ‘id’ (which would be the client id) for the registration, and the assessments table with PK ‘id’ and then FK ‘client_id’ which would refer back to the registrations table.

Now I’m wondering if this wouldn’t be better structured as a single clients table, even though it will have so many fields.

What would be the best approach?

make it easy on yourself

one table for clients

one table for registrations

one table for assessments

this adapts easily to a situation requiring the tracking of corrections to a registration or assessment in cases where client transaction history is important

Ok thanks.

Would it change anything if I said that the person wanting this application wants no edits allowed for the registration or the initial assessment. All the later meetings are recorded in a separate table, including modifications to the original information collected?

Also, what would I put in the clients table, because the registrations table includes the client’s name and all his/her contact information.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.