Decoupling Google from Android

In the latest SitePoint Mobile Newsletter (sign up here), my editorial discusses MicroSofts involvement with Android. Got an opinion? Get stuck in!

Perhaps the most surprising news of the past fortnight was that of another Android handset maker attempting to loosen its ties with Google.

OnePlus, the cool handset maker that people seem to love and hate in equal measure, announced that it had received an undisclosed investment from Microsoft. Where this ends up leading is yet to be seen, but many have floated that a version of Android coupled with Microsoft services could be compelling, especially in the business world. It's potentially a solid 'plan b' for Microsoft's mobile strategy if Windows Phone never quite gets the audience share.

It's widely known that Microsoft holds many patents in Android and receives a license fee for every handset sold: it wins if Android wins. Which is strange when you consider it is also a competitor.

I wondered, out of pure interest, what were these patents that Microsoft holds? Here are a few that jumped out at me from the 310 that are present:

• 'Method And System For Configuring A Timer'
  • 'Computer System for Identifying Local Resources'
  • 'Electronic Mail Object Synchronization Between a Desktop Computer and a Mobile Device'
  • 'Generating Meeting Requests and Group Scheduling from a Mobile Device'
  • 'Selection Handles in Editing Electronic Documents'
All of which are fairly generic, I'm sure other companies hold some similar patents. However, Microsoft is rumored to have made several billion dollars from these licenses.

It'll be interesting to see how this situation develops, but hopefully it's the user who benefits the most from such deals.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.