Delete or drop databases using the SQL command line in phpMyAdmin

Hi,

I was recently trying (practicing) to create a database using the SQL command line in phpMyAdmin using my MAMP and no problem I can add and drop databases but to my surprise when I tried to create a new database in my live server I couldn’t, so I thought this was some sort of privileges that the host company needed to adjust so I contacted them and they made same adjustments but nothing, it don’t work still. I tried a different host company and the same thing it doest let me create or delete databases using phpMyAdmin so now I’m wondering if this has something to do with recent updates in my phpMyAdmin and my MAMP works because I haven’t updated it (just guessing).

I know I can create databases through MySQLDatabases in cpanel but as I said I’m trying and practicing SQL commands.

Does this has something to do with phpMyAdmin and this option is simply not available?

Any idea what do I need to do to be able to create or drop databases using SQL commands in phpMyAdmin?

Oh, this is how I’m trying to create my new debases

CREATE DATABASE databaseName

to delete

DROP DATABASE databaseName

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot!

I don’t know about your hosts, but mine offer only a limited number of databases, and I have to create them through cpanel.
It surely has nothing to do with recent updates of PHPMyAdmin.

Thank you for your reply!

Well I have unlimited databases in fact I’m using a reseller package, and again I can create databases if I go to MySQLdatabases. It may be something I need to anable through my reseller Panel?

Can you create databases using the command line in phpMyAdmin?

Thanks a lot!
Can you

Is this the correct way to create a database or do I need to specify a user name? If yes, can someone show me how?

CREATE DATABASE databaseName

Thanks

as pointed out the limitation is usually with the host package. you almost always have to create the databases through cpanel and the mysql databases option. it will not let you create a database though phpmyadmin, even if you issue the correct command (which you have.)

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, it looks like this is a common practice between hosting companies since I have tried two different host companies and this not allowed, but why? Is this for security reasons?

Thanks a lot for the clarification

Usually because they set the number of databases you can have and they can control that through the mysql database tool, whereas if you were given permission through phpmyadmin they would likely not be able to limit the number of databases. Unless you own a stand alone server or are paying a host for a premium package (just guessing there) you will always be limited in the number of databases you can manage as well as disk space limits for them.

Thank you for your help!

Now if this is to limit the amount of database this shouldn’t apply to my account since according to my hosting provider they offer unlimited databases, I’m using a cheap host company though.

it would still apply based on the fact that in standard installation with CPanel they most likely have standard configuration set up of not allowing database creation through phpmyadmin.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Believe it or not the I contact the host company and they didn’t know what say.

Thanks a lot for the clarification!