Delete,update in get method

Greetings! I found this tutorial
http://phpeasy.co.uk/tutorial-object-orientation-basics-part-4-implementing-crud-methods/ so great! But I have a small problem about the update and delete part, I don’t understand, but I found my own way to solve it, I just add another method and it works well.

public function id()
	{
	return $this->id;
	}	

My problem is I’m using GET method in deleting my items and I don’t know how to secure my data. Whenever I tried to put in my url mysite/delete?=‘id value here’ , my data deletes even if I’m using pdo. Is there any way to prevent user from doin it? thank you.

I believe you’re referring to Cross-Site Request Forgeries (or CSRF); in which the database API would have no affect on it. A security feature known as a nonce can help prevent the problems you’re having by passing a unique token through the request URI (and validated on the other end with a session variable). Here’s a quick example to demonstrate:

index.php

<?php session_start();
$_SESSION['nonce'] = md5(mt_rand());
?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<a href="action.php?do=delete&gid=1&id=1&ext=php&tok=<?php echo $_SESSION['nonce']; ?>">Delete Something</a>

</body>
</html>

action.php

<?php session_start();

if(isset($_GET['tok']) && $_GET['tok'] === $_SESSION['nonce'])
{
    #valid data
}
?>

That’s one common method of preventing CSRF; the other method (if you didn’t want to go through the hassle of setting up nonces) would be to handle the data via the HTTP POST method.

Thank you very much sir! I’ll just google what ‘nonce’ is all about. Thank you, thank you!

That was just a random URI example of a HTTP GET request used to perform an action. The unique token (in the session variable) is echoed out so that it’s in the URI link; making the link valid on that page for when you want to use the action.

Another potential problem you may need to guard against is that using GET to delete things can have unforeseen side effects.

A bot could index your site and accidentally delete everything.

Even when logged in, a mischievous user could delete items in their own account, or the accounts of others by just creating a load of sequentially numbered html links.

GET should be used to do just that get things.

There are ways to defend against this, including :

• Not actually deleting anything, just setting a flag in your table in a column named display (0 / 1) **
  • Making sure each Mysql user only has delete privileges for their own tables
  • Limit the number of deletes per minute, say
  • Use the POST method for deletes, inserts, updates etc

Just something to bear in mind, 'tis all, and much depends on your situation.

** that might mean you can offer an undo option, or look upon old data as an “archive”.

I’ll remember that! thank you !