Delete Your Facebook Business Page Already

Fantastic article! To be honest, I’ve been looking for a reason to get rid of my Facebook business page for years. I hate it and I find that it produces exactly 0% new business. I mainly use Twitter. To top it off, Facebook makes you have a personal page in order to have your business page. I can’t stand that! Time to get rid of Facebook 100%

Great article Lauren. I’ve closed down mine as well. You only have so many resources so best to use them where they make the most impact.

This is a subjective opinion. Yeah, most of internet educated people knows that on facebook theres only funny images and some noone cares news. But there are people that doesnt know any social media except facebook.

So imo no need to delete your page. You can just use it to share link to your article.

Regarding Medium, the only way I’ve found to get your articles read by more than a few people is if Medium itself recommends them.

After spending hours and days writing and tweaking content and then seeing only two people look at your article, let alone read it?.. Meh. No point in wasting all that time on a platform that just feels rigged.

I quite Facebook a year ago; I’m about to do that with Medium too.

Can I read your Medium stuff first?

1 Like

How long have you been publishing on Medium?
Are you tagging your articles?
Also, are you sharing them on other sites and with your network?

It’s been a while since I’ve been publishing on Medium, and I just received my first few recommends last week. I think it’s improving, but it just takes time.

Not long, just a week. Yes, I’m tagging and publishing to my (admittedly small) Twitter followers (not sure what you mean by network?), and my first article was actually read by over 6,500 people because Medium recommended it. I wanted to be upfront about that so it doesn’t sound like I’m whining, or complaining about it. Yes, I am new, so I may be completely wrong about everything; I’m only going by what I’ve seen and experienced. Perhaps I just have no idea what I’m doing, and if that’s the case, then the site designers failed, because I actually do find the site confusing.

When publishing an article I’m not finding it anywhere except under where it’s tagged, and after it’s been online for a couple days I may only see that 2 people have read it. What I’m experiencing is a lot of what appears to be sponsored content, or content from established writers or famous people plastered on their home page. I see an article that was published two hours ago and is already recommended by Medium, but an article that’s (subjectively) better written by somebody who (I’m assuming) is unknown, not being recommended even after 3 days.

How is anybody to find quality content on that site? It kind of reminds me of Tumblr in that regard: it’s almost like you already have to know people to find people.

I find it the complete opposite. I go to Medium to find great articles before sites like even Quibb shares them. Here’s an ebook that just came out on working Medium, and here’s a blog post on the same thing.

More resources:

1 Like

Facebook has the best video engagement on the web and has surpassed YouTube and has just introduced Instant Articles for publishers (Buzzfeed being one of the first to use it) which looks great and should provide an all-round better user experience.

Facebook also has one of the most powerful targeting systems to be found on the web. OK, so if you want to get noticed on the site then you really have to pay but so what? You also have to pay for AdWords which for small businesses is really not that great (see why Dropbox binned AdWords as a case in point). Facebook was a free marketing resource and now it’s not but that doesn’t mean that you should ignore it as a platform for connecting with fans and customers.

It remains the most widely used site online and for that reason alone, it’s worth keeping. Sure, organic reach is now almost unattainable but the free party is over - brands shouldn’t ignore the advertising platform just because it’s no longer free to use.

Thank you so the links, and for confirming I have no idea what I’m taking about. I have some reading to do! :grinning:

I just realised, I’ve read that chair article before, and I only tend to go off what’s listed on the emails they push out - someone likes you…

I’ll never look at a ventriloquist the same way ever again…

The take aways from this for me are two things… 1. The SEO community got (over) excited about the recent Google updates (again) and 2. Good old fashioned word of mouth and business networking still provides results immune to the changes and fallout of the various ‘(Anti) Social Networking’ platforms :slight_smile:

I agree with this article, but i think Facebook is still good for local businesses who want to create paid adverts, especially in a visual field such as mine like photography

Facebook or any other social medium can benefit only when its used through proper channel. Need to define strategy, the quality of information, your community, groups and friends interest etc because Facebook is not business or professional network its a personal. You can used it to interact with your visitors and followers.

Great Article !!!.. Its really really helpful to everyone. Thanks you for sharing.

Good article.
On a slightly different FB note, I personally have never understood why even large businesses would place SO much emphasis on advertising on FB and in a lot of cases only a FB link (check us out on FB and that’s the ONLY contact) and not their own properties. I see this everywhere for both small and large companies and I believe it’s incredibly short sighted. They’re basically saying FB is where we send everyone with all their marketing which may help them ???, but, absolutely helps FB. It’s really bizarre because they spent money to build a site / campaign / what not and then they advertise FB and hope? I don’t get it.

1 Like

It really depends on your target market and the venue they are using. You have to be where your audience is at and this changes. I live in a regional area of Australia and Facebook is huge in these regional areas. That doesn’t mean it will work, you have to test, test and keep testing to get your answers.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.