Design for Ipad: How to?

Hi Guys,
I need to test and fix the site pages to work for an Ipad. The site is already built with Table based Layout and Flex. And have couple of doubts.

1. Can flex application run on Ipad? The application is already built in Flex. Will it work on ipad?
  2. How to test the ipad application on a regular PC, I don’t have a real Ipad to test?
  3. How to test the application for both orientations (Portrait and Landscape)
  4. Will table based sites render well on Ipad?
  5. Suggest Best ways of fixing the issues encountered for Ipad? Shall I convert the existing application pages to html5?
  6. Which browser to target/test in for ipad keeping in mind the user base.

Appreciate your responses/work around for the above queries.

Best…Vicky:cool:

Get an iPad, cannot test and fix things without one.

Hi,

You may find more relevant help in the mobile section as the issues are much the same. There is a resources section that may help there.

You would use css3 media queries to detect orientation and window size. The best approach is to follow [URL=“http://www.slideshare.net/bryanrieger/rethinking-the-mobile-web-by-yiibu”]this design ethic.

I don’t think flash works on the ipad but these resources may provide more information.

The iPad Web Design & Development Toolbox | iPhone.AppStorm
Test your Website Design on an Apple iPad Without Having One!
The iPad Web Design & Development Toolbox | iPhone.AppStorm

I don’t see the point of bothering to use media queries on a site built in tables.

I also don’t see the point in building a site “for” a particular device. What will you do when the 100 other tablets come out, all with different resolutions? What about televisions? All those phones out there?

Building “for” a device is the path to endless agony and frustration. But that’s my opinion.

It depends if there are fixed widths involved and you can adjust for landscape and portrait etc. If it’s a fluid table then I guess there is not much point as it will adapt within reason. Table designs aren’t really user friendly for smaller devices anyway so perhaps a change of approach would be better.

I also don’t see the point in building a site “for” a particular device. What will you do when the 100 other tablets come out, all with different resolutions? What about televisions? All those phones out there?

True :slight_smile:

Building “for” a device is the path to endless agony and frustration. But that’s my opinion.

True also - that’s why I added this bit:

The best approach is to follow this design ethic.

You either design specific mobile/tablet sites with all that involves or you go for the catch all approach mentioned above.

It depends if there are fixed widths involved and you can adjust for landscape and portrait etc. If it’s a fluid table then I guess there is not much point as it will adapt within reason.

Well that all must be based on the assumption that the mobile/browser/whatever understands media queries. Apparently they still suck at them.

Tho yeah a fluid table would prolly fit on an iPad either way, those are pretty wide compared to phones and PDAs.

I see Sitepoint has a spin off site for mobile builds. I haven’t had chance for a good look yet but seems interesting.