Designer or Developer, is it build in talent?

Another related link crossed my radar today: What’s the Best Way for a Programmer to Learn a New Language?

Although the title implies learning a language from scratch, you can apply most if not all of the points raised to levelling up as a developer, as well.
I found it very informative.

I feel your pain. I had a lot of trouble learning Javacsript, not so much the logic and functioning, but it was how I was learning it. My course notes were bland as hell and the book they suggested to read and learn from, Javascripts in Easy Steps by Mike Mcgrath was horrible! (Sorry Mike if you are reading this.) I found books like Visual Quickstart Guide: Javascript by Tom Negrino and Dori Smith way more explanatory. I also watched some videos from thenewboston.com to get a little more of a handle on it.

I am certainly not an expert in Javascript, but the other books helped out. So consider the method of learning too, if the material is bland, it’s painful to learn, and if it doesn’t relate in some way to your objectives, it causes confusion.

Cheers!

i agree, I have too much trouble understanding Kevin skougland’s php essential training. His way of teaching is so bad. All of sudden in basic he goes to refactoring. However simon allardice is amazing but don’t do php, his foundation of programming is amazing and so is JS teaching. Then I came across Jon peck of php and my my he is also good in teaching, for Kevin I couldn’t understand php basic and with Jon peck I learned OOP. Amazing isn’t it?

These are a completely different topics. The first question (How do you get the juice?) is easy to answer. Basically, challenge yourself. Even if you don’t have a real project, do one as if you do have a customer with certain needs. Maybe a shoe/clothes store.
In the second quote you’re asking about motivation and obviously, when you learn something new and feel like you’re getting somewhere, you get excited and need little to get that motivation. It is in the hard times, when you don’t understand, when you’re not getting there or not fast enough, that you have to have your goals very clear to keep that montivation

I studied architecture too and now I’m in web design. The bad part is I feel like designing web sites seem more trivial to designing buildings. The good part is I actually enjoy designing for the web but in terms of social value web design still seems very inferior to architecture. I’m not ever going back to architecture though.

It doesn’t have the same level of comlexity of course but then… the challenge here is that it doesn’t matter which shape you use, it will be square for the browsers (for the browser is simply a box)

But I know a great designer that study to be an arquitech… although he didn’t finish university. Got bored before getting his diploma or degree

Still, he’s a great designer… Talent? for sure! But also all those university years, practicing and studying made him understand the relationship between shapes, colors, designs…