Designing Event registration sofware site

Hello,

Please I need an advice here though I may sound stupid.

What opensource softwares can I use to build an event registration sofware like eventbrite and cvent?

Definitely a lighter version but it should be possible for a user to create an administrator account that can manage an event with multi sessions or multi days.

Potential partcipants should be able to register for part or all the sessions of the events.
Can Drupal or Wordpress achieve this?

The truth is I only have mysql skills and a basic knoledge of C but am ready to spend sleepless night for this task.
I would appreciate if you can suggest othe web skills that I will need to be able to accomplish this.
Or does it go in a way that I can learn for instance Drupal, wordpress … and so on without the knowledge of say PHP.

Thanks in anticipation for an answer.

I’ve built alot of registration systems – I work for an organization that does one city-wide conference a year, plus a half-dozen smaller events that need some online reg. I would just use eventbrite for simple ticketing or a half dozen registration vendors if I had something more complex.

If you do need to do it, drupal or wordpress aren’t really much help. You are looking at building an app, not a bolt on piece to a cms.

Thanks for your reply.
Actualy, my goal is to build an app, I’m an IT student and I want to use it for my thesis. It may sound funny? yeah, I have majored in telecommunication and I already got an ordinary degree but to acquire a higher degree in IT, I need to do write something that is software related.
I would appreciate if you give hint on what kind of programming language or skills I would need.
I have read some CMS like drupal offer plugins that can achieve this. What’s your take?

Sure, there is a lot of event listings sites built on Wordpress and Drupal.
You could probably have something very basic up and running in a few days.
Skills that would help is MySQL/PHP, html and css as well as graphic design and user experience design.

Of the two, Drupal is more flexible but harder to setup and learn while Wordpress has easier setup but can be pretty hard to customize heavily.

The problem isn’t really to build something that works, it’s building something that people want to use. Anything you build on top of Wordpress or Drupal with existing plugins will probably be pretty basic and generic. But if you can find a good niche even a basic solution might get users.