Detecting proxy server logins

Is there a way to detect a person who is creating multiple accounts on a site using proxy servers, which I assume would show as different IP addresses?

And also, is that the way they would accomplish multiple logins showing different IP addresses or is there any other way to do that?

Yes, that is the way bots use to subscribe from different IP addresses, but I wouldn’t know a way to find that they are doing this. At least not a fool proof way.
Maybe it would be easier to use a service like akismet?

Nothing is foolproof (better fools are created every day!).

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/apache-configuration-199/how-do-i-block-visitors-who-use-proxy-servers-766303.html shows Q&A about proxy servers, however, it’s possible to block a number of IP addresses (of known proxy servers). The main problem arises if a truly anonymous proxy server is used as these do not identify themselves OR that the request has been relayed.

IMHO, the easiest way for you is to try a “fuzzy” match for usernames and passwords that are too similar to be a coincidence, time of day of visits by these “members,” etc.

Of course, a sign-up with e-mail confirmation within a short time span makes it difficult for bot makers to respond but adds a bit of a task for a real person (IMHO, well worth the small effort).

Regards,

DK

Using Elite proxy server, you can set up as many different proxy servers as you want, and you can even set them up in a bunch of different cities, and a bunch of different countries if you want. In fact, you can even add multiple ip addresses onto the same proxy server.

<snip>

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the help and the education and will continue to research.

Proxy server is very nessesary instruments for many people . And if have working , fresh and anonimous proxies , you can do many things with them , but not for spam , it’s not good .