Developing my own digital downloads script

Hello!

As a php/PayPal novice, I used LinkLok as a method to create secure digital downloads on my site. Now that I’m revisiting Linklok after using for some time, I see that it doesn’t allow me to easily deal with and log refunds. I’d like to develop my own script which will do the follow:

1. Start with an html form that contacts PayPal on submission.
  2. Using IPN, I’ll double check that it’s not a fraudulent payment, that it’s the right amount, etc.
  3. Upon success, the user will be emailed a message with a copy of the link that expires after 1 click.

I feel fine about 1. and 2. above, but am not sure about 3. Somehow the link would have to be “encoded” (I guess that this is what Linklok does?) or anybody would be able to download it once word got out. Any help in starting this would be great. And, I would very much like to program it as opposed to using some 3rd party solution.

Thanks so much,

Eric

Those three points you listed is what LinkLok does (so far as I know), so I don’t think there’s any advantage in reinventing the wheel here. And it’s easy to do refunds from that point with PayPal.

If you really want to do it yourself, you could study the LinkLok code to see how they do it. But in the end, you’ll presumably end up with pretty much the same thing.

Anyhow, the aim of the forums is to help you with a coding problem, rather than to teach you how to do the whole thing or do it for you (which is what service providers are for). Perhaps make a start, see how far you can get, and then ask for some specific help. :slight_smile:

Ralph,

Thank you for the response. I was actually just hoping for a “starting point” as I feel confident enough at this point to navigate most of my php issues that present themsevles these days. Regardless, perhaps your advice of digging into the code is a great place for me to start! :slight_smile:

And, I know that it may seem like I’m reinventing the wheel, but for my specific needs, I’ve decided that Linklok does way too much stuff that I’ll never need, and I thought that I could pare down the code to a bare minimum of what I’m actually going to be using it for.

So…I’ll take your advice to roll up sleeves, dig into the code and get my hands a little dirty!

Regards,

Eric