Development Enviromnent for HTML5 similar to Flash

Hi there,

I have been a developer for a number of years and have tried to keep my hand in as many of the relevant technologies as possible. One that I did put some time into was using the Adobe Flash Environment , which I found very useful because of its animation power.

I am an experienced jQuery developer and I use it for most animation based things but every time that I need something a bit more movie-like I use flash due to its features such as motion tween and shape tween.

I am only just taking the time to explore html5 and my question is about how to create html5 animation applications like the Google Doodles in pure html5.

What is the environment that is being used to do this? Surely people are using some sort of timeline based editor rather than coding all of it?

I would prefer to continue using an Adobe environment because as anyone who used Flash knows, it has most of the same hotkeys and tools as Photoshop and Illustrator.

Does Adobe have a tool release current or planned? Or is there something else I should be learning?

thanks

You’ll want to look into Adobe Edge:

We use Adobe Flash Builder to create interactive web applications powered by Flex. Now we are looking for alternatives that will let us have the same ease of development with regards to UI designing plus coding catered for HTML5. Is there such an IDE? If so, what’s it called?

hI Espinteractive,

Yes those are my questions exactly, I am more comfortable with the Adobe Design Suite programs due to all of the hotkeys and drawing tools built into Flash which are the same as in Illustrator and Photoshop. I have heard that Adobe Edge is the one to use and I am looking into it at the moment.

I know that a lot of the really impressive Google Doodles are just animated gifs that are interlinked frames which they move with jQuery but others are definitely built in pure html5 so I’m presuming that Adobe edge will have Flash’s timeline based animator with tween capabilities and I’m hoping that you are just able to add a javascript/jQuery layer to deal with event handlers etc. just as you do with Actionscript.

I have also looked into a lot of flash to html5 converters which are appearing but I’m yet to test them. I am sure that they are more than capable of converting .swf video files into html5 video but I’m yet to discover if they support the more interactive content, applications, games etc.

I’m yet to discover the specifics of it all. I will post back when I do :wink: