DevWars - A Live Stream Web Dev Competition (just for fun)

I’ve been watching this for the past few weeks and have really enjoyed it. I’m not affiliated with them at all, I just wanted to share it with the community because I find it fun. Basically, 2 teams of up to 3 people compete to make a basic static page in under an hour. It runs 2 matches during a single broadcast and usually lasts about 3-4hrs total (I think).

###DevWars on Twitch.tv
Every: Tuesday and Saturday @ Noon EST | 5:00PM GMT
(it just started if you’re looking at this soon after I posted)

###Description:

Welcome to the official DevWars Twitch stream. Two teams of three battle to produce the best work of their coding ability, taking the reigns of a single programming language each: HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Teams join our TeamSpeak server for communication, and using Cloud9 (c9.io) each team member is restricted to their own coding work space.

Each person is assigned to either HTML, CSSm or JS and responsible for their piece ONLY.

###Rules:

1. HTML, CSS, and JAVASCRIPT & JQUERY allowed.
  1. No Frameworks of any kind.
  2. Watching DevWars on Twitch is prohibited during game. Listening is allowed.
  3. No Copy & Pasting anything but code from teammates as well as URLS.
  4. No editing other languages other than the one you’ve been assigned.
  5. Changes cannot be made after countdown is finished.
  6. You cannot use animations in CSS, only JavaScript
  7. Libraries are allowed, but copying snippets from libraries are not.
  8. No Inline Styling
4 Likes

It looks like you can watch past broadcasts too.

1 Like

Yeah, someone mentioned that in Chat during Saturday’s Broadcast. Saturday wasn’t that great and the host was tired, but the other’s I’ve watched were pretty fun. Probably more fun live than recorded though, because you get to vote and read people’s comments.

The cool thing is, I’ve picked up something from every one that I’ve paid attention to (I just listen alot of times). Like Saturday, one of the guys was indenting children in vanilla CSS. I never thought of that!

ie:

ul.something {
    list-style: none;
    background: red;
} 

ul.something li {
        color: white;
    }

ul.something li.active {
        background: green;
    }

div.somethingelse {
    background: purple;
}

I nest alot in LESS/SASS for the sheer readability. I even nest elements with ID’s in parents because it’s easier for me to read.

That’s funny because I do that almost automatically, and have almost since day one of working with css.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel silly for it now. I’ve probably seen it many time before and never had it click until I saw someone type it that way.

Anyway, Devwars is down until May 7th.

Quote from their page:

The current season is over! We are working hard to get the website up and running smoothly for the re-launch on May 7th 2015.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.