Did Google search results change my homepage title?

The title of my homepage is “Wearables News | Wearable Tech Forums.” However, my result in Google search is as follows. Did Google change the title on my homepage, or is something else going on? Thanks.

Curious, do you have google webmaster tools? I don’t see anything in your code that would cause it. Perhaps you should consider setting the meta tags.

Yes, I do. You think there’s a setting somewhere in there?

Hmm I just signed onto mine. Thought that you can set that stuff from there. But try setting the meta tags manually in your HTML and then wait for google to reindex.

What do you mean manually?

It’s been a long weekend, apologies. I blanked on hte fact that <title> sets that. I’m going to keep looking.

Google has said on several occasions that they don’t necessarily use the site’s own title tag when showing page titles in search results. They will show whatever title they think is most helpful to the searcher. For example:

Google’s generation of page titles and descriptions (or “snippets”) is completely automated and takes into account both the content of a page as well as references to it that appear on the web. The goal of the snippet and title is to best represent and describe each result and explain how it relates to the user’s query.

Source: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35624?hl=en

I suggest you don’t worry about it. In the example you quoted, the change seems fairly trivial. But in any case, it’s unlikely to harm your click-through rate, and might even improve it.

Mike

3 Likes

Thanks!

This happens from time to time when google thinks that your title tag isn’t as good as they want it to be basically. Even though we think it is great, their algos will change it. I have a site that has a great title tag and they swapped it out for a single keyword instead and there is nothing you can do.

That really shock to know that google changes the homepage title tag…But I have already heard about it