Discourse and other boogey men [bluepill]

There seems to be a lot of speculation in this thread about software you don’t understand.
It’s reminiscent of the “Rails can’t scale” trolling that has been refuted time and again.

One day the client suddenly dropped on us that he wanted to deploy to a windows server.

How odd! :slight_smile: I haven’t had any experience developing or deploying rails on Windows and don’t think I ever will.
I will share a secret with you, people use Macs to make web sites, Linux to run them and Windows to test them in Internet Explorer. Now that’s trolling.
Seriously though, I don’t know anyone who would choose to deploy Rails apps to a Windows server. Just don’t.

I’ve never had to configure servers other than a dev machine myself so I can’t comment on the specifics, all I know is that popular Rails architectures can scale perfectly fine for the vast majority of websites. If you get to the size of a Facebook or a Twitter you’re always going to need something special.

More generally, it seems we’ve been moving toward a more diverse server architecture than in the days of the xAMP stack.
It’s common for web servers to be running many processes like Ruby, Python, a Javascript runtime, Memcache/Redis, Solr/Sphinx etc…

What a strange response. Are you saying you are an authority on Discourse? Then you accuse this thread of trolling but you haven’t posted any evidence to the contrary. We can all have an opinion but its not very persuasive without evidence. Please explain and enlighten us and include your supporting links.

To clarify I definitely don’t prefer windows as a deployment option, for either Django or Rails, but in the case I had several years ago it was because a client requested it. Rails wouldn’t reliably deploy on windows (mainly due to OS incompatible ruby gems) but with Django it was far more successful and painless. However Discourse is written in Rails so thats not the issue here. I never had any desire to deploy Discourse on windows, but I did try to deploy it to Centos which is linux but not officially supported. Interesting to see the Ubuntu partner logo on the Discourse website. Maybe that is the reason why deploying to Centos is so “uninteresting” to Discourse devs.