Discovering Doctrine with DDD

Hey community,

Ross Tuck, a generally awesome guy whom I’ve had the pleasure of meeting at a recent meetup in Zagreb, Croatia, is writing a book about Doctrine - namely, about discovering it through domain driven design.

If you’re not familiar with DDD and/or Doctrine, this will be a great book to get into both. Sign up to be notified when it’s released here!

Could you give us preliminary information as to what DDD/Doctrine IS and the role it plays (in PHP) so we have an idea of what we would be learning? I’d like to know some minimal information from the get-go before I’d buy a book.

Doctrine is an ORM - Object Relational Management system. Critics say it’s for people who don’t want to learn SQL. Pundits consider it the only way to work with a database.

My experience is that ORM’s are good for roughly 4/5ths of use cases, including the most common ones. Where they start to fly apart is with very particular and specialized use cases. They are a useful tool, but they are not a replacement for the knowledge of how to compose SQL queries on your own. I usually use an ORM at write time but do most reads with straight PDO, and I avoid using ORM’s that glom onto the database connection in such a way that running a raw query is made more difficult than it needs to be.

DDD is not specific to PHP, and @Michael_Morris covered Doctrine up there - but no one’s asking you to buy the book, it’s still being written. I merely posted the link there so you can sign up to be notified when it’s ready for proofing or sampling, let alone publication, if you’re interested in either DDD or Doctrine. The book will likely, in Leanpub spirit, have some sample chapters available before it’s up for purchase, so you can judge its quality and relevance to your interests then.

I never said I was even interested. I was pointing out that you were asking people to go in blind and wait to read the book to find out the information, or so that was how it was worded.

is what you wrote, so I assumed you thought I was baiting you into outright buying it. My apologies for misphrasing, then, but I believe both terms are familiar and Googleable enough not to warrant much explanation here.

I said A BOOK not THAT book (or similar phrases).

My statement was a general statement about buying books and my personal preference to not buy something I have no clue about

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.