DNS Server Change - Affect Email?

Hello

This is the first time I have ever made a DNS Server change and I was curious how this is going to affect my e-mail.

Lets say this is my URL - www.testURL.com

I also have my e-mail setup as MyName@testURL.com

I now have a new host so we are going to change the DNS settings so www.testURL.com now points to the new web host. Is this going to affect my e-mail address MyName@testURL.com or do I also have to make a request to get the e-mail changed as well?

Thanks in advance for your time.

If your email is done through your hosting package, then you’ll need to setup your email accounts again. If you go through say godaddy, and your email is setup through your domain name provider, your email will work fine.

Hello,
when you change the DNS for your domain, the DNS propagation time is 24-72 hours. Your site as well as your mail will be influenced by DNS change.

Thank you for the posts. The e-mail is through the old web hosting company so I am assuming that will mean the e-mail will also have to be changed as well.

What you have to do is to create an identical email account (“MyName”) at the new host.

Take note that during propagation some emails will end up at your old provider. There are number of solutions to retrive those emails. One would be to just forward all emails to an email address at another provider (maybe a free one), and setup this prior to changing nameservers (in order to point your domain to the new host).

Another one would be to access web mail at your old using that server’s IP – if possible.

Good luck!

Thank you for the tip. I called GoDaddy’s help desk last night and they said if I purchased a domain transfer, this would also transfer my e-mail address so that is what I am thinking of doing.