Do I need more expensive hosting?

I’m using shared hosting it the moment and wanted to know if that’s ok for a site that has 10,000 page views per month? To give you an idea of the site, my adword spend is £12k per year ($18k USD).

Shared hosting seems to be fine but I spend only £29 per year on it. I need some help determining whether this hosting is sufficient.

10,000 pageviews a month is really nothing. That averages only 14 views per hour during the course of a month. Shared hosting is perfectly fine for it. I get much more than that. Including human visitors and bots, well over 100,000 pageviews a month on shared hosting and there are no problems at all.

Bb,

If you’re so rich that you wanted to ask that question, why not?

Okay, okay, let me answer that the way it should be answered: KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS! If the requirements indicate that you need more/better services (SSL?), then match those requirements to what is available and go through the “Host Search Process” I just REposted in another thread.

Regards,

DK

Depends on your site and what you do with it.

£29 on something fairly low power might be fine.
£29 on a heavy magento powered commerce site would be bad, because it’d be a lot slower than on a £2900 spend, and you might well lose that in sales over a year due to lack of responsiveness.

Cheap hosting often doesn’t equate well with business continuity and recovery in the event of a disaster, e.g server failure or hacked site. In those cases your £29 you’ve spent doesn’t justify critical attention from a top level systems administrator required to pull you out of a mess - chances it gets you a few emails from a third level offshore support following a chart telling you to upload backups.

£29 probably buys you spells of downtime and slow speed you don’t notice but that loses you sales when any one of the thousands of other sites on the same server is bodged/hacked/spamming/overloaded.

Of course it may do none of those things, but the economics of what you are paying for means you’re increasing the likelihood a lot.

If you are spending that much on advertising, it might well be worht investing a little more in the hosting to support it.

The problem with cheap shared hosts is that they often overload their servers to maximise profits, this may be ok for you but there will be a point where another user’s site could affect the performance of your own.

If your site is crucial I would probably suggest spending a bit more on hosting but its down to personal choice and what you actually require.

I agree that if your ad budget is that much than you will be growing and you will want to have things in place to make that growth a smooth transition now over later. Prepare for the future. Also, consider you may feel that you are fine on a shared account but are those you share your server with also always going to be fine as well or are they going to bog you down and cause you to lose sales at some point. In my opinion it would be a sound decision to reconsider your needs now and your potential needs in the future. Move up now before circumstances dictate that you have to move. A rushed server move is rarely the best move.

Shared hosting would be fine if the site is hosting something very remedial, not high intensive graphics or media. If you are hosting media content of any sort shared hosting won’t cut it especially at 100,000 page views per month.

What kind of software applications do you run on your Shared Account? 10k page views are not a lot but some folks who use WordPress and run many plugins have have issues even when a very few visitors open their blogs.

It all depends on the amount of resources you need to run your site. If your current plan is sufficient and suit your needs, then fine but you should also plan for later.

You could also look for a provider with an SLA (Service Level Agreement) - one thing I would do, is use a service such as CloudFlare as that makes your site more redundant and faster, and google likes faster sites.