Do we gain much by friend requests?

By requesting someone to be my friend do I really gain much in the long run? What should I keep in mind before requesting someone to be my friend in a social site say Facebook?

As far as I can see, if you have a business page, you can only invite people to like your page…if they do so, they become friends. (And yes, inviting people that you think might be interested is important, because your business then appears in their newsfeed whenever you update your business page status). If it is linked to your personal acct., you could request friendship on a personal acct. The only benefit I can see from doing this is if you are consistently sharing business page updates on your personal account. If so, you may get a broader group of people exposed to your business page, but your personal friends might get annoyed. :slight_smile:

Of course! But you need to find friends with similar interest or from your region. Not everyone likes it and excessive amount of friend requests sent by you, might result in you being blocked by FB. Long term relationship is however very important. :rolleyes:

Are there instances of Facebook blocking accounts due to excessive friend requests?

Of course there are instances, happened to me once and one of my friends, but FB just needed proof of being human, not an automated bot, so everything turned out fine upot phone confirmation.

You don’t really gain that much other than appearing to be popular unless they are true friends.

To whom, you are inviting to become your friend is does matter. If they are from same field or profession then it may be helpful otherwise they will not accept your request. Second, your profile and personal info also does matter. Each and everyone want to become a friend of good and professional person. So, it also does matter.

Yes, it is important to find out beforehand who is a person you are going to invite to become your friend and will he or she be interested in your business or content, etc.

Many have said that it is good to know beforehand who to invite. Member interests certainly helps us in this regard.

I always consider the following.:

Is this a friend request or is it for business? If it is for business I may ask them to Like my Page instead of my profile.

I find all your answer very interesting! However, making friends would not be easy anymore. People are becoming aware of friend request, as a fact, they ignore such invites that is not related to their concern or passion. Meaning, making connection in the professional world should really be real and would build a relationship.