system — 2013-07-16T06:09:08-04:00 — #1
I want to open my eCommerce store, Hence Does anyone have a experience of Shopify ? Please Give me feedback. http://www.shopify.com/
brimin — 2013-08-04T21:54:41-04:00 — #2
- It's easy to get up and running if you want a basic store
- It has the best bulk product import feature I've ever seen (and I worked with dozens of ecommerce software)
- Fast load times
- You don't have to worry about security, updates etc.
- It has built-in blogging software (though very basic and limited)
- It doesn't support drop down menus out of the box and workaround that they provide often doesn't work without custom coding
- Cost - Their pricing plans are a bit misleading. I will never forget my disappointment when I encountered for the first time that they count every variant as a product. So, you have 1 product in 10 sizes and 10 colors - you already need more than a basic plan which offers 100 "products".
- They charge transaction fees
- You are limited to 3 options per product and 100 variants per product
- No FTP access
These are just some random thoughts, since you didn't specify what things are important to you or what type of store are you going to build.
Overall, I like Shopify and would recommend it. It certainly isn't for everyone and you have to give up on some flexibility, but in return you get decent all-in-one platform to work with.
ralphm — 2013-08-04T22:36:33-04:00 — #3
Nice reply, and thanks for the detailed list. I haven't used Shopify, but have looked over their site. It's handy to have feedback like this from actual users of the system.
Welcome to the forums, BTW.
system — 2013-08-07T06:31:51-04:00 — #4
Thanks brimin for giving such a deep details about Shopify.com.
petrovich1 — 2013-08-27T04:27:30-04:00 — #5
As for Cons I would also add that Shopify asks for tranzaction fees. It means you need to pay Shopify for every order on your websore.
ralphm — 2013-08-27T04:30:40-04:00 — #6
That was listed in the cons above. Many/most cart services charge fees per transaction, though. (Can you name any that don't?)
petrovich1 — 2013-08-27T04:46:37-04:00 — #7
Shopify allows creating additional custom fields for products but they are very simple (standard). For example, when I needed to create a radiobutton field or a custom select field for a product I could not. That's the reason I stoped using Shopify.