Does anyone actually use Perl or Python for web? (split thread)

Just bumped into this (job ad is already 2 weeks old though). : 20 SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS NEEDED – Good in Perl or willing to Learn?

Grumpy: that’s Booking.com. They are always and have always been begging for Perl devs. Also BBC, Net_A-Porter and some others. They stalk the YAPCs for free devs :slight_smile:

I’m new to python, but I personally feel python is the language extremely attractive potential. There are many ongoing projects on the python and the number of programmers to work with it to grow every day.
<snip/>

Proves that I’m not a Perl/Python insider. I also had to lookup the meaning of YAPC.

[OFFTOPIC]
Why does this silly forum not send me an email for your reply?
I received one for bitware’s reply though.
[/OFFTOPIC]

Sorry: Yet Another Perl Conference :slight_smile:

So far as I know, yeah, you’re supposed to get e-mails if that’s what you have set up. If you notice more threads being answered to without you getting e-mail notification, you might want to let HAWK or a mod in green know… and if they can see the problem they can pass it on to the forum devs.

Also s/Net_A-Porter/Net-A-Porter. LOVEFiLM is another British Perl company always scanning for devs, but I don’t think they’re as big so they aren’t as annoying in their searches :slight_smile:

Yeah there’s a Perl Echo-Chamber where Perl guys talk to Perl guys… and there are a lot of people using Perl who are not part of the community so they miss out on all the cool new stuff. And the pushes by the community to modernise (using Modern Perl, Moose for class objects, avoiding crappy CPAN modules and participating in the cpants testing suites…). This is unfortunate, because the Perl community is really great. There’s a significant number of great weirdos and a noticeable lack of douchebags/brogrammers. It’s a community I can recommend to anyone (even brogrammers, just leave your bro at the door yo).

I’ve recently dived into Python development, and it’s scary… because so far my first project is to figure out how buildout works. Woo. So it’s lots of Zope, buildout/setuptools/distutils, eggs, and other strange Python packaging stuff. Yeah, I said Zope. :slight_smile:

I got into Python using the GAE out of necessity as I needed some way of offloading a large amount of data gathering & processing that was way beyond what my site on a free web hosting package could handle. The transition from PHP was not overly painfull though getting used to the indenting/ tab style of doing things caused some headaches but on the plus side my code is lot tidier now.

I am currently playing around with web2py and django with the intention of using one of them to redesign a site I have. Django seems the best so far.