Does code like this effect seo?

I am using ajax for pagination (with css)
now the code pagination codes look like this
echo “<a class=\“next\” style=\“cursor:pointer\” onClick=\“ajaxfunction(($start - $how_many),$num_pages)\”><Previous</a>”;

it doesnt have href in anchor tool

as search engine bots largely depends on link,will it effect seo

is it poor than doing
echo “<a href=‘#’ class=\“next\” style=\“cursor:pointer\” onClick=\“ajaxfunction(($start - $how_many),$num_pages)\”><Previous</a>”;

will it effect seo?

lol …we are in seo forum and being a coder from last 10 years…
sometime it is easier to code ownself rather than googling …downloading 10-15 scripts …testing it…and making it good…(normally problems creeps out…)
so rather than asking for where is it…
i was asking for any “recommendation” from their experience i should use…
for eg if somebody ask me which forum software…i may say “use vbulletin” though googling i may find thousand of forum softwares…

any way thanks

Fair point - we just get spammed to heck when people ask for recommendations on particular things without any filtering or narrowing down…

:slight_smile: i use to thing it is programming forum not grammer’s forum…lol

any way i have seen lots of ajax implementation infact are indexed by the SE …so i think ajax itself is not evil…
esp tabs…i have experienced their was no problem for any SE to index its contents…

only difference i can see in my pagination code and tabs code is if i do href=‘#’ it actually moves screen to top…and adds # to url bar…so t avoid that i eliminated the href part…now worried about seo…
if it really does then i think it wont be good to implement ajax pagination that way…

can anybody suggest any ajax pagination tutorials,code etc which implements things in better way

No, that code will not effect SEO. However, it will affect it :cool:

Note - “effect” as a verb means to cause something to happen. Your code will not cause SEO to happen - quite the opposite. Googlebot has very limited capacity to run Javascript, and may well ignore your links.

All pages on your site must be reachable by means of following <a href=“…”> links. This is not just for search engines but also for the significant minority of people who browse without Javascript. Simply putting href=“#” in the anchor is not sufficient. If you want to have Ajax-based navigation as your main method, that’s fine, but there has to be a plain HTML alternative as well.

Let me Google that for you

I don’t know exactly if that implementation will bork your indexation (my first read of it is that it will, you need to cater for non-JS browsers).

I’d suggest you take a look at this: