Does McAfee Really Work?

Unfortunately I spent time doing technical support and lets just say the majority of computer users do not seem to have “common sense” as part of their genetics :stuck_out_tongue:

Also to be careful about running (which could do damage potentially)…

SCR = Yes screensavers can have malicious code, they are executed after all.
VBS = Visual basic scripts, dangerous little things they can be too.
CPL = Again another potentially malicious extension (control panel object).
REG = Registry editing file, never launch and merge unless you know what it does.

Recently I switched from Avira to COMODO. If you are seriously paranoid about security (COMODO does actually have a “paranoid mode”) and know a lot about how Windows works “behind the scenes”, then nothing beats the power that COMODO’s Defense+ can give you. In fact, nothing else even comes close.

AVG Free edition. Money well saved :wink:

Isn’t COMODO a firewall application?

Did you replace your Antivirus with a Firewall?

I am using both applications btw :slight_smile:

Comodo offer both firewall and antivirus solutions though I am unsure of the effectiveness of their Antivirus solutions :slight_smile:

Symantec antivirus - high enough degree of detection as viruses and spyware, adware, backdoor…
<snip>

Has anyone had experiences with ThreatFire?

And has anyone dealt with the evil trojan viruses that collects your site’s FTP login information, sends it to a central server, and then in turn infects a whole list of files on your site with java script code and iframe code often redirecting you to a cgi script that detects what plugins a visitor has, and applies the appropriate exploit, usually in a .pdf or .swf type of file? It usually involves a number of .cn domains (like findbigboob… don’t go there) and a bunch of redirects. I am interested because I have ran into people who have became victims of such a trojan, and would be interested in finding something that could detect it. I am not really wanting to infect a system and try a bunch of scanners to find out if anything detects it.

Overall, i feel like common sense is the best virus protection. No need for Norton to be bogging your system down if you can just make use of a lighter virus protection and be more careful with what you open.

All this discussion on AV programs and nobody has thrown in the obvious answer yet.

Make the switch to Ubuntu

The reasons for switching are obvious and have been repeated a thousand times across the interwebs so I will not repeat them here. :slight_smile:

Perhaps the reason why this was not braught up is it is rather a heavy handed and “fanboy” thing to recommend to simply replace an entire OS when the question was recommendations for an Antivirus guard, there are plenty of reasons why people use Windows over Linux and while I am a regular Ubuntu fan and promoter it is rather degrading to see the continued use of it as some kind of “cure-all” when the fact is that there are plenty of cases where converting to linux would simply be out of the question for users.

Nod32 is the best, once i lost everything using mcafee updated…

I had a bad experience with Threatfire… when I uninstalled it… my keyboard driver was affected… tsk tsk

McAfee is not one of the best programs to protect your computer. I am not saying that it is a bad program, but I would not buy it. There are free alternatives, that are better then McAfee. You can protect your computer very well with free programs.