Domain Based Email Vs Free Services Such As Gmail

Good Morning All

I have a customer who is currently using gmail as their email provider. I am trying to convince them to use their domain name as their email provider, stating that you have more control, it looks more professional etc.

However, I’ve received an email saying that gmail has the following advantages,

• it has one of the best spam filters

-Shared email servers have the challenge of ensuring their IP stay off the ISP blacklist due to spam. Gmail prevent this from happening.

Are these statements accurate? I’ve only once had a problem of a domain mistakenly being added to an ISP blacklist?

I greatly appreciate any help here, and thank you in advance.

Didcot84

Personally, I prefer GMail, as it has better features and can be accessed more easily. If you sign up for Google Apps, you can use your site’s own domain, too, so there’s no problem with looking unprofessional, as mail recipients have no idea you are using GMail.

Whether you use GMail or not, you can add things like SPF records to your email setup to authenticate the origin of your emails.

Thank you very much Ralph

I’ll look into those google apps and see what they offer.

Thanks for all of your help mate

Yes, i think Your custommer is right. But when youa re bigger company, you have some biz, you need to put more work into your email on your domain name because it really looks more trustable.

Google apps is no longer free though. If you already had an account though you can just addon a domain.

Google Apps is no longer for free. And my personal gmail account has more and more spam. If you can afford a paid account, find a vendor who has a good antispam system. It will be a better choice, unless you want to integrate with other Google apps.

I use the paid version of Google Apps, and I use it to manage emails from quite a few different domains. Switching to GMail in this way was probably the biggest sigh of relief I’ve ever breathed. It’s so much better than running emails through your website. Everything is managed from one inbox, and each day I’m met with a bunch of genuine emails rather than a ton of spam. Hardly a single spam message gets into the inbox. I find that GMail is brilliant at distinguishing spam from real mail. I do check the smap forlder regularly, but GMail very rarely gets it wrong in my experience.

Certainly worth the small fee if you ask me.