Domain / DNS problems

Hello everyone,
I need some help configuring my domain / DNS.
I have no knowledge in this field, I’m checking my domain via this site:
http://intodns.com/petpal.co.il

Can anybody give me some explanations on each error / warning it presents and what can be done to solve it?

Thanks for the help,
Ulthane.

Hi Ulthane. I see that you have custom Name servers registered. They are ns1.petpal.co.il & ns2.petpal.co.il. They are not pointing to correct server IP’s. You will have to edit it at registrar level and point them to correct IP’s. I hope your server IP is 94.23.164.67. But especially the ns2 IP. It is points to google’s resolvers. Point it to secondary server IP OR directly point it to 94.23.164.67.

Once that’s done Name server errors will be gone. For PTR record, ask your hosting provider to set it. This will sort it out.

Hi Ulthane. I see that you have custom Name servers registered. They are ns1.petpal.co.il & ns2.petpal.co.il

Yup these are the name servers I added when I ordered my VPS server.

They are not pointing to correct server IP’s. You will have to edit it at registrar level and point them to correct IP’s. I hope your server IP is 94.23.164.67. But especially the ns2 IP. It is points to google’s resolvers. Point it to secondary server IP OR directly point it to 94.23.164.67.

Well the first one points to the correct IP, as my website is working (works for you too? http://petpal.co.il/)
Since I got only 1 IP, I had to put some random one at the second nameserver, since my registrar doesnt allow putting duplicated IPs (wondering why…?)
Is there any way to put some valid IP as the secondary server IP?

also what can happend in case i leave ns2 as it is?

Thanks,
Ulthane

Yes, I see that domain does points to server IP and works properly. You can use just one Name server instead of using the incorrect secondary one.

You can use just one Name server instead of using the incorrect secondary one.

Well my domain registrar forces 2 name servers so i must keep the incorrect one.

could you or anyone tell me what are the consequnces of keeping the incorrect one?
And if there’s any workaround / solutions?

Thanks.

If that’s the case, not a problem. Website works properly with one correct Name servers though. If you refer URLhttp://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=petpal.co.il&type=A&submit=Resolve you will see that like A, MX, CNAME, etc records work properly.

And what is that recursive queries error?

Is it kind of virtual hosting?

That means the DNS server that you are using is opening for everyone. It will lead to security issues. You should correct it asap.
Also, you are configuring wrongly your nameservers.

Is it kind of virtual hosting?

yes it is.

That means the DNS server that you are using is opening for everyone. It will lead to security issues. You should correct it asap.

solved that one thanks…

Also, you are configuring wrongly your nameservers.

What you mean by that?

How do you use GoogleDNS as one of your nameservers? Did you notice about the lame nameserver warning?

yes i put it on purpose because i got no choice.
I got only 1 IP and my domain registrar doesnt allow same IP as both ns1 and ns2. so i had to put something random as ns2.

In that case, you should consider

• move your domain to a registrar who can provide free DNS service.
  • or use 3rd party services such as EntryDNS or ZoneEdit.
  • move your domain to a new host who can give you redundant nameservers.

What’s happening if the DNS service on your server is off for any reason?