Domain expired unable to re-register

So I have a domain registered with streamline which has expired when you go to the address. I thought I could just re-register but no, all I can do is ‘back order’ it. This is what the whois says:

Registry Whois Information

Domain Name: DIVA-HOST.COM
Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
Name Server: NS1.RENEWYOURNAME.NET
Name Server: NS2.RENEWYOURNAME.NET
Updated Date: 15-oct-2012
Creation Date: 11-oct-2004
Expiration Date: 11-oct-2013

Registrar Whois Information

Registrant:
StreamlineNet
Burton Road
Castle Gresley
Swadlincote, Derbyshire DE11 9HA
UK

Domain name: DIVA-HOST.COM

Administrative Contact:
On Behalf of a customer, StreamlineNet info@streamline.net
Burton Road
Castle Gresley
Swadlincote, Derbyshire DE11 9HA
UK
+44.8709220699 Fax: +44.1332864161

Technical Contact:
On Behalf of a customer, StreamlineNet info@streamline.net
Castle Square
Melbourne, Derbyshire DE73 8DY
GB
+44.8709220699 Fax: +44.1332864161

Registration Service Provider:
StreamlineNet Limited, info@streamline.net
441452561804 (fax)
http://www.streamline.net
Web Hosting Made Easy.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 15-Oct-2012.
Record expires on 11-Oct-2012.
Record created on 11-Oct-2004.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
http://tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.RENEWYOURNAME.NET
NS2.RENEWYOURNAME.NET

Domain status: ok

The Data in the Tucows Registrar WHOIS database is provided to you by Tucows
for information purposes only, and may be used to assist you in obtaining
information about or related to a domain name’s registration record.

So have streamline.net registered it for themselves?

EDIT: I don’t remember my login details for streamline so they sent out a form for more details. I can’t fill this in as I have moved around a lot so not sure which address they have or the card details or my most recent payment.

Hi debrag12. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s not a good idea to let a domain name lapse. As far as I know, once lapsed, it goes into lockdown for a period of time (a month?) and then is up for grabs again—though usually certain companies get first dibs on it, and then make it available again at a higher price. I’d say contact the domain host and discuss it with them. Unfortunately, this is called “learning the hard way”.

It says it doesn’t expire till Oct 2013 on whois. 11th October was the last time I was able to send emails using this domain.

Perhaps the host has kept it alive on your behalf … but you’ll need to contact them to find out. It’s really important to make sure you keep your contact info up to date, so that you can be sure you get renewal notices in time. Letting a domain renewal lapse is deadly.

I don’t really ‘need’ to get this domain back as it was more for personal use and can change to something else if needs be.

A site that’s been online for a good few years is worth a bit in terms of Google reputation etc. so if the content is important to you, it’s worth getting the domain back if you can. It’s up to you, really, but it may be that the host has just held it for you and is waiting for you to contact them. I haven’t heard of this before, but I’m not that experienced in this area. If the host has re-registered it for you, then that’s a rather nice gesture, I must say.

Isn’t content saved on the host not the domain name? Or at least I thought it was.

Yes, the content is presumably still stored in the hosting account, which is separate from the domain name. But as far as search engines like Google are concerned, that content, and the pages you had at that domain, have presumably gathered some SEO “juice” over the years, and that is worth something. If you start from scratch, with a new domain, you will be starting from the beginning, and the credentials your site has built up over the years will have to be reestablished in the eyes of the search engines. This may not matter for a personal site, but if this were a company site, it would be a real pain, as you’d see page views drop hugely for quite a while.

How wukd I view content without the domain I.e. Cpanel, ftp etc?

It’s best to keep a backup of your files, so that, if you change hosts or domain or whatever, you have a copy that you can upload again.

Anyhow, I checked the IP address for your domain name, and if you have your CPanel login details, you should still be able to log in that way:

http://69.73.170.11:2082/

(A site’s “real” address is an IP address, rather than a domain name. The domain name is just nicer to read for humans, but is directed to the IP address behind the scenes.)

hey debrag12,
so what happened to your domain? really like to know the end of your domain…should be a good experience…
i haven’t seen and change in your whois information…have you got it back?

Whois shows the expiration date is not yet over.

even i lost a domain as i forgot to get it renewed timely. It went into locking period for three months. After the locking period was over i registered it immediately.

This thread is quite old and whatever happened to the domain… well, it already happened and there’s no much that we can do about it now :). I’m closing the thread.