Domain name missery

I am very feed up; what with domain names reserved by the registrars, names withheld by ICANN or whatever they are called due to possible domain name collisions and domain name campers. I am having problems finding a suitable domain name for my new site.
Even if the registrars and ICANN released the domain names they are holding ( which are popular names they can sell for a larger sum ) I know they would be snapped up by campers.

I had almost settled on a .photo name and then I thought I should then buy the .photos name as well. But then I find a camper already has the .photos name.
These campers amaze me as one name I was looking at had been owned since 1999 and the owner wants nearly £4,000 for it. But I must say he had written a nice bit of text on his holding page unlike most of the other campers. Also there are so many tld’s now there will be less chance of him selling it for thet price.

Anyway my site has been ready to upload for a month and I can still not find a name I like!

I feel you, it’s depressing!

You can try using a name generation tool like NameMesh - not only does it suggest names for you, but it also helps you come up with your own. It’s pretty full-featured.

Honestly, I wouldn’t fuss over it (hard, I know). If your site is ready to upload, just upload it somewhere - anywhere - right friggin now. Think about it, you’re holding yourself up over a name. In the meantime you could be building up a readership/userbase which you could just redirect later on.

As an example, one of the more popular CSS sites is css-tricks.com. Another popular web design site is called Codrops which isn’t even hosted on its own domain. It’s a subfolder of a hideous sounding domain - tympanus. Tympanus dude, dot net to boot…if that didn’t slow her down nothing should slow you down.

Just get it out there.

1 Like

Yeah, domain names go fast, especially if there’s any indication that someone else might be interested — there’s a huge aftermarket for domain sales, so many people have huge domain portfolios and are hoping to strike it rich with one big sale.

I agree with @labofoz, it’s best to just pick something and get started. Otherwise, you’ll get stuck in indecision paralysis waiting for the perfect domain! SitePoint was started as webmaster-resources.com (way back in 1994, before “all the domain names” were taken!) and it re-branded a few years later. It’s always an option.

Yes, domain camping is a pain (greedy imho, and should be outlawed) but there’s plenty of room for creativity—as there’s an infinite number of possible names, really.

Have you considered other popular extensions like .io etc? Lots of options there, too. You can combine subdomain with tld, too (su.bdomain.com) … so just get creative! We can help with it if you like.

As said above, it’s ultimately the quality of the content that will give the site traction, rather than the domain name.

Thank you for the input; I just wanted to start off with something “right” in the first place.
But as you say it is more the content rather than the name and I could always change the name later. I will have another brainstorming session later.

Spent about 3 hours again this evening using NameMesh to try and find a suitable domain name and gave up.

I have a domajn name rubblewebs.com and decided to go with rubbleimages.com which is following a pattern!

Although I currently have a problem as www. in front of the domain name will not work.
Edit: Changing a DNS setting seems to have sorted the problem.

I feel you. I spent about 2 days finding a suitable domain name. Ended up on codefundamentals.com

What I did was take a few key words
code, css, etc.

Then I add different words.

Codeking
codefundamentals
codehelp
etc etc (50 more examples)

Then if I find nothing, I go to a thesaurus and put in “teacher” or something and get more. I find one that spells easily

Then if STILL nothing. I get rid of “code” and replace it with “CSS” or another big phrase I want.

I am under the impression that the length of time the domain has been registered makes a difference. The difference may be slight but just case it isn’t then I would be tempted to create a sub-domain on your existing site.

Plus it will save the additional cost of the domain and also the hassle of having an extra site to maintain.

Good point John as the second site is related to the first; I just wanted to keep the name short and easy to remember.

1 Like

dont worry too much about finding an exact name of the domain u seek. u can add words to get a domain like online e.t.c

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.