Domain name transfers whois guard/privacy - what's policy on?

I have alot of domains with Namecheap.com with whois guard privacy paid for and started moving some to internet.bs which includes free whois privacy.

Now I’m wondering on the exact legal obligation of when Namecheap.com’s service obligations end and when Internet.bs’s begin.

For example:

1. I have domain.com which expires November 10th, 2011 at namecheap.com and whoisguard also expires same time nov 10, 2011.
  2. I initiate domain.com transfer on October 18th, 2011, provide all the EPP codes and approvals for transfer from Namecheap.com to internet.bs.
  3. Namecheap.com has 5 days from October 18th to respond to approve the transfer according to the emails I got after 5 days it’s automatically approved.

But now internet.bs says domain.com transfer status is still pending (namecheap hasn’t approved it) but according to whois lookup, namecheap.com has already disabled my whois guard privacy service I paid for on domain.com which expires Nov 10th, 2011 and shows all my domain admin contact details publicly now!.

I would of thought namecheap whois guard would be active until transfer is approved ?

Anyone shed some light on how it works ?

I would of thought namecheap whois guard would be active until transfer is approved ?

It would indeed make sense to keep the whois protection active for as long as possible. It would have to come off a bit before the domain is approved for transfer though. Defining “a bit”… now that’s probably hard to do, and there are probably some technical limits to the process as well.

It appears the OP also asked this in WHT, and I see it’s been answered. So I guess it’s all good to go.