Doublin Core (DC.) metatags - are they obsolete?

Hi, I am updating my rather old websites : www.maltawildplants.com and www.maltanaturetours.com

I am going through most of the html for code and web-text improving and my meta tags have a list of Doublin Core (DC. “”) meta tags. I was wondering if the are obsolete and should delete them. Do they offer any significant advantage if I leave them in? I would like to clean up my code from unnecessary lines.

Thanks

So far as I know, Dublin Core itself is not obsolete. The Drupal project is still using them. Like with all metadata, I have no idea if any machine anywhere actually makes any real use of any of it. If someone does, it would likely be the search engines Google and Yahoo! (both of whom prefer Google’s Schema.org stuff I guess).

There’s been a vote to remove metadata from HTML5, but that was merely to take it out of the HTML spec, not obsolete it.

This woman seems to be one of those metadata people, and here is a very recent (2013) mention of still using DC. http://lealaabbott.com/wp/archives/750

Never heard of it before now, and I can’t say that I’ve seen it utilized out in the wild.

Thanks, I removed some DC. metatagds ane left the keywords title and decritpion, basically copied the same data from the normal tags. It seems different people , different opinions. The article was a good one, but still leaves a doubt how useful they are.