Doubts regarding keywords shown in search results

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding the idea behind the google search results.

Consider a scenario

Keyword: “hot deal canada”
Search results shown in bold: Canada’s, canada

Keyword: goodluck
Search results shown in bold: Good Luck, goodluck

i am wondering why the words are appearing split as it was done with a spell checker? and why the words with apostrophe are still shown ?

Now if you check bing and yahoo, they are strict. No pain what so ever :frowning:

@bogs and @theemerchant thanks for the info. Yea, its true google is trying to provide the best results and now with caffeine i think the SEO has become intriguing :P.

those are suggested query, and just like any other suggestions you can ignore it… i think other SEs have the same features…

Thanks stevie. :slight_smile: problem arises when you have a competitor with the same name with just a space separating the two. We are doing SEM for “abcxyz” and its also showing our competitor “abc xyz” in the search results. So the problem arises only in google search.

Is there any place or google groups where i can ask this question?

I feel like there is not much we can do about it.

Google is trying to be helpful and show you the results that it thinks fit your search query best.

If you genuinely had put quotes round “hot deal canada”, it would find an exact match for that phrase (although it doesn’t care about any punctuation that comes in the middle. So it would pick up “If you go to Mexico, you’ll get a hot deal. Canada, on the other hand, is really expensive” as an exact match :rolleyes: )

Beyond that, it uses various linguistic algorithms to find related words and to look for alternative spellings that you may have meant or that authors may have used. So if you search for ‘camping’, it will also pull up ‘camp’, ‘camp site’ and so on - they are all related words.

google are just trying to give you more option regarding your search query.