Dreamweaver Alternative

Nvu is the only decent free WYSIWYG out there. Namo or Frontpage are the best low-cost WYSIWYG alternatives to Dreamweaver (“low cost” being very relative).

Well, as it happens, HomeSite is no longer into development. Its been merged into Dreamweaver. :slight_smile:

Take a look at html kit. It has tons of plugins that can be used with it and you can fit it on a zip disk to take with you. Here’s the product description taken from download.com:

HTML Kit is a full-featured text editor designed to help HTML, XML, and script authors to edit, format, validate, preview, and publish Web pages. Newcomers to HTML coding can benefit from the program’s error-catching abilities. Experts can save time spent on common tasks, using the customizable and extendible editor, while maintaining full control over the code.

Features include syntax highlighting for HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, XSLT, JavaScript, VBScript, PHP, ASP, Java, Perl, Python, C/C++, Visual Basic, Pascal/Delphi, Lisp, SQL, INI/Conf, and more; customizable keyword help and keyboard shortcuts; multiple methods of previewing; a spelling checker and a thesaurus; templates/snippets; multiple validators; and automatic detection of and integration with third-party applications, such as style editors.

The latest version also includes the ability to write plug-ins in C/C++, Delphi, VB, Perl, and Java; TagsReminder; TagsWizard; PrototypePad; and a Workspace window to seamlessly edit files on remote servers, networks, and local drives.

http://www.download.com/3000-2048-4687625.html

On a similar note, when is Macromedia going to make a Linux-compatible version of Dreamweaver? Frankly, I think they’re in bed with Microsoft, but they may be tempted to take the leap if Linux continues to gain popularity. I see frequent questions about Dreamweaver and Linux on various forums.

NVU is very slow on Windows
NVU is OK on Linux
The overhyped NVU is nothing but Mozilla Composer with prettier icons :slight_smile:

Real shame because compared with other open source projects NVU stagnates badly.

I like Kwrite - which is nothing but your wordpad for Windows.
It has the most complete set of code-highlighting I’ve seen.

WYSIWYG on Windows ? … I don’t know of any decent one sorry :frowning:
They all mess up your html.
One guy I knew used to recommend Web Objects- or something ( will try to dig out the name )

Am I the only person in this world … who also thinks Dreamweaver sucks and is definltely over-priced?
It’s ok dont answer :slight_smile:

I think it’s overpriced. Sucks? Well, I’d say it half sucks. It is an extraordinary memory hog and seems awfully buggy to me - or is that just my Windows operating system???

I wouldn’t think its your Windows Operating System.
I watched a video of Steve Balmer last week and was conviced that Windows is today’s most efficient operating system - and most secure too.

Unfortunattely I’ve been using my XP CD’s as coffee mats and now they are all scratched and stained :frowning:

Open Source … open source WYSIWYG
Open Office Web Writer?
no …
ahm … err …
will check sourceforge.net for you :slight_smile:

… nothing so far.
Mozilla Composer is your best bet
If you like pretty icons but slower perfomance then NVU

A good full-fledged Open-Source WYSIWYG Web-Editor is urgently needed.
Strangely enough noone is taking that up.

Before I got dreamweaver, I also used 1st Page (by eversoft) and loved it and recommend it to anyone who doesn’t have dreamweaver. I also hand code, but like the color coding and ftp support these programs provide. I also need to see how my handcoding is coming along and to do that I just preview in any and every browser I have. I hate WYSWYG, the way I go is hand code and preview in browser.

Notepad! Produces the most efficient code and has all the html features you ever wanted. :smiley:

Don’t be silly Squirrel, notepad doesn’t have line-numbering, or color-coding or anything. Notepad is the worst suggestion. lol. I’ve been using TSW WebCoder. Its free. And its pretty good. Its still a little buggy as I have turned back to DW MX2004. I suggest you invest in Dreamweaver. Its just better than anything out here, even notepad. And I don’t believe its overpriced. If you’re any good as a developer, you should make that back in a week. It basically pays for itself.

Thanks,
-Arik

Perhaps not notepad but
Some people use [url=http://thomer.com/vi/vi.html]VI without any problem hehe

NVU is a great alternative

No I don’t think that as Dreamweaver has a version for Mac OS too. Maybe a version for Linux will be out soon. :slight_smile:

Has Macromedia made any official statement regarding the future development of HomeSite? As far as I know (and hope) its still under development, because thats what I’ve been using for a decade.

delpino

How many posts have gone without mention of TopStylephew

While Dreamweaver MX 2004 is the standard these days, this guy has built one hell of a program - the only thing I miss is C# code-coloring, but it does everything else and does it well.

He’s also the creator of HomeSite and the cartoon Dexter btw, so yall got a lot to thank him for, buy the program!

-orbitalgroup

Don’t forget FeedDemon either for all your RSS shhtuff, I like it for things like all the technical articles on various sites like Sitepoint etc…

Perhaps you don’t know, there hasn’t been a new version of HomeSite for quite some time as it has been integrated into Dreamweaver since DreamweaverMX came out. Perhaps there was an official statement about this, I dunno, better search www.macromedia.com. :slight_smile:

There have been some rumours about the future of HomeSite, but its not that long ago of the last version of HomeSite (about one year). More information about HomeSite here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homesite

TopStyle looks very interesting. Downloading the trial now … :slight_smile:

Christoph