Dreamweaver CS£ help please

I am using DW CS3 and have designed a template from which I then create my webpages. This means if I wish to update say the header or footer, I can do it in the template file and it will make the changes to all my html files when I save it. I have always done this, it is a simple method that I understand. However…

For some reason now, when I create a new file from template, the new file does not have the external CSS file attached. The reference line is there in the code but it is not available in the CSS Styles panel. So my tags (like h1 & h2 etc.) are just using the default font settings in DW.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong please, and is there a fix?

regards and thanks for any help you can offer

Brian

Kind of off topic, but the downside of using a proprietary tool for this sort of thing is that you end up with a mess of irrelevant code if you decide to switch to a better different editor. I recommend you check out PHP includes, which are very simple to use and much more reliable and friendly.

Hi Ralph,

I guess you’re right. I use PHP includes on another site and it works fine.

I’m just setting this site up and plan to incorporate includes into it.

This issue with the DW template not working though is just weird, it’s always worked fine before. I’ve sort of found a work around.

If after creating the new file from template (which doesn’t have the appropriate style sheet attached) I go to the DW Styles panel and click the little icon to attach a Style Sheet, chose the appropriate one and hey presto everything is fine.

Thing is I shouldn’t have to do this, the line of code to attach the style sheet is actually in the new file before I do the above, DW just doesn’t seem to recognise it any more unless I redo it as explained.

Thanks for your input,

regards

Brian