Duplicate content if someone stole my post

hello. I have blog since 5 months, is new, but all original content. A site bigger than mine with better PR and alexa rank took one of my post and reprint on their site with no permission. my question is if this will hurt my site? I was first so it should appear as first on me, yes? Even if there site is bigger? :frowning:

Stas,

It isn’t so clear which content Google will favor. It would make sense in my mind that the content published online first should be the one that sticks or perhaps even the one indexed first. Believe it or not, it may not always be so easy to discern which came online first.

You may want to consider submitting a DMCA takedown to Google although I have heard varying responses to this route. There is some detailed information about that here,

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/webmasters/crawling-indexing--ranking/MR91vH1nNnw

There is also some information in the comments for this blog post about how google deals with these situations,

More on duplicate content in general,
http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/duplicate-content

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Usually, sites which post the content first is indexed by Google. I have often seen my content get indexed within 24 hours of posting.

Alexa rank is something which can be faked.

as far as page rank is concerned, it won’t make much of a difference.

You should send a dmca takedown request to the website which stole your content.

You can use screenshots to show them the proof and highlight the dates the content was posted.

Thank you very much for your help and links. Very informative.

I didn’t know you can fake Alexa rank. how do you do that? I don’t want to do it, i don’t want to do illegal things with my blog, just i don’t know how. by download the bar and go to site a lot?

if someone stole my post, it won’t heat your blog, because Google craws your content earlier then other’s

Have you contacted the site’s owner? Under no circumstances should be they allowed to steal your content like that. Tell them to either remove the content or pay up. If not, you can most definitely sue them in a small claims court.

I contact them already to ask them to remove it. so far it is still up. I am in russia and I don’t know where they are, so i don’t think i can do court. But I was told to send a dcma notice so i am downloading one to send, i hope i don’t need lawyer for that.

You don’t need a lawyer to send a DMCA. If you have already told the website to remove your content and they haven’t, the next step I would take is to contact their webhost. You can find the host by checking the “whois”. Different hosts have different requirements so do take the time to look up and follow those requirements. Generally, when you contact a host about plagiarism they will take the site down until the offending content is removed.

Yes, I know how to do whois. so if they are godaddy I email godaddy to say the site stole my content?

No, first you check to see what GoDaddy’s requirements are. Then you follow them to the letter.

I Think if somebody stole your blog content ,so its not possible if you firstly post your article so your article must ch-roll first. So don’t worry about that your blog content is unique.
and its your post.

Even so, plagiarism is both unethical and illegal. Every writer has the right to be compensated for his or her own work. Sites that steal content need to learn that lesson. Even if your content is not monetized, if another site is using it without written permission, they need to heed a cease and desist. If they don’t they deserve to pay the consequences no matter what they are.

And quite frankly, those who support content theft are, in my opinion suspect of belonging to the copy/paste crowd of plagiarists and have probably never put in the required effort to write unique content.

THank you, to you and everyone. I will definitely check to see how I cn stop by legal ways. My biggest concern was tht my content is not get indexed first and get pentalized.

I think, if you post your blog, then when anybody copies it, google will spam their content. So do not worry, your post is unique.

You should submit a DMCA takedown to Google, im sure your original content was indexed first , so it shouldnt be a problem. Good luck!

I wouldn’t bother submitting DMCA cause G. knows where that content originally appeared

:slight_smile:

fastreplies

I do think that it is true that who ever gets indexed first, that is king for that piece of content. However, if someone grabs your content off your site before Google lists in the index, that is an issue, as you would be deemed to be copying the content. You can simply search Google your title in quotes to see if it is indexed. We always check our content as it usually gets indexed the same day or next.

THanks. And how do you know if yours was indexed first? it won’t necessary appear on first page results.

If your site was not crawled and indexed first, your subsequent site crawl “Last-Modified:” filetime() should be compared to the first indexed article and hopefully your article should be bumped to the top of the index.

OK than you. I learn a lot here, I thank you.