Dynamic Dropdown List

Hello everyone,

I am building a file uploading/download section for my University. I don’t have much knowledge about JavaScript or PHP (very basic, that too only if I see the code at times).

So I want it to be this way. The students go to the page and there they have about 3-4 drop down lists. First they have to choose which Engineering Department they belong to, then which semester they are in and accordingly the subjects show up, they choose the subjects, press the next or whatever button, they are redirected to a page where all the files are present.

For example: Say I want to download the notes of Data Structures from 3rd sem. So there are 3 Engineering Courses, CSE, ECE and Mechanical. I choose CSE, when I choose CSE, in the next Drop down, 8 semesters are there in the list, I choose 3rd, all the 3rd sem subjects show up in the next list, I choose DS and then I click next to go to a page or directory where those files are present.

Refer, BookMyShow site for a clear view of the picture.

Can someone post a sample code for this please taking the above example. I googled, but didn’t find convincing ones since I didn’t have vast knowledge about JavaScript.

Oh yeah, I am using Bootstrap from Twitter to design it. So for the dropdowns also I will use the same.

Thank You

Cheers
:slight_smile:

Does the website run on a CMS of any type or is it all static HTML pages?

What you are referring to requires multiple parts. it isn’t just a drop down list but you need a way to manage users, courses, enrollment along with associated file attachments. If the site is a collection of static pages and you do not have a developer on staff your best bet would be to look into CMS options. Ideally a CMS geared toward the business requirements of managing a school curriculum.

If you don’t use a pre-existing CMS than you will need to choose an appropriate programming language and just start learning. Pretty big task for someone with no programming skills…

At least with a CMS most of the work will have *probably already been done for you. I guess it depends on how picky you are though.

It’s not a CMS. It has only one page with all the drop downs. There are no user logins or anything. Anyone can access it, open to all. Static page only boss.

Hai, I came up with this with some help of my friend. Have a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mdlvb9r68mmv78n

Now, I want you to help me with this.

1. When we don’t choose all the options correctly, a popup comes up asking us to choose all the options, when we press okay, it however goes to another page giving an error. I don’t want it to go to another page. How do I do that?

2. I want the bootstrap button for the upload and download buttons.

3. I want to increase the file size to say 50mb. However, say if someone uploads a 40 mb file. 40 mb takes time in India, where will he view the status of upload and how? How do I make them show that like in Mediafire and other upload sites?

Thank you, cheers.